Robert Smith has a range of experience acting for public sector, private sector and banking clients on PPP/PFI and other projects, focusing his practice mainly on the transport and regeneration sectors.
Robert has been involved in a wide range of transport matters relating to light and heavy rail, bus, highways, bridges and air traffic and advised on accommodation projects including housing and wider regeneration, health and education sectors.
- In the heavy rail industry, Robert has experience of advising ROSCOs, TOCs, and Passenger Transport Executives in respect of rolling stock and franchises as well as associated infrastructure issues, such as acting for the Olympic Delivery Authority in respect of negotiations with Network Rail relating to infrastructure works required for the 2012 Games, advising Merseyside Passenger Transport Authority and Executive on the proposal for Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive to take over the passenger rail franchising functions of the SRA in relation to the Merseyside Electrics Network and advising on station development and rolling stock matters in West Yorkshire.
- Robert has advised in respect of procurement of light rail and rapid transit schemes in the UK and overseas, such as acting for a consortium bidding for the Oakland International Airport Connector project, a pathfinder light transit PPP in California. He has been involved advising a number of local authorities on light rail schemes and other light transit schemes such as West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive's proposed New Generation Transport scheme.
- Robert is a leading public sector advisor in the bus industry having advised passenger transport authorities in respect of delivery of bus services, including advising in respect of the development of quality contract schemes, quality bus partnerships and other regulated transport schemes and tendering of non-commercial bus services. He has advised a number of authorities on concessionary travel schemes, including scheme drafting and supporting the statutory appeals process and negotiating settlement with operators.
- Robert has advised on social housing PFI projects since being involved advising funders and sponsors on some of the first deals to close. He has since acted for sponsors, funders and public authorities on both HRA and non-HRA projects, including projects involving supported living. He is currently advising both public and private sector clients in respect of remaining Round 5 PFI Projects, and also advising in respect of future regeneration schemes.
- Robert also has experience advising on operational schemes, and advising SPVs, sub-contractors, funders and authorities on operational matters relating to their projects.
- Girton College, Law
- Cambridge University, MA
- Nottingham Law School, LPC
My latest insights
New research shows decarbonisation is a primary driver of transport investment and...
17 November 2021 .5 minute read