Jessica Jing Zhao
Jessica Zhao is a Senior PRC Advisor in the Litigation & Regulatory team, based in DLA Piper's Beijing office. Jessica is an expert of alternative disputes resolution (ADR) and general corporate matters.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Jessica was the Deputy Secretary General of China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) Shanghai Sub-Commission and has resolved around 300 international or domestic arbitration cases either acting as the case manager or as the Sole / Co / Chair-arbitrator . In 2004, Jessica was admitted as a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArd). In 2006, the Paraphrase and Guide to CIETAC Arbitration Rules, written by Jessica was published by Law Press-China.
Jessica is experienced in using multiple international arbitration rules to resolve disputes, such as UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, ICC Arbitration Rules, Stockholm Arbitration Rules, AAA Rules, etc.. Currently Jessica is on the Panel of Arbitrators of Shanghai International Arbitration Center (SHIAC) and Chinese European Arbitration Center (CEAC). Jessica is keeping good relationship with CIETAC, SHIAC and other local leading arbitration bodies as well as local authorities. She also assists in coordinating the resources of DLA global offices and other professional parties.
Besides dispute resolution, Jessica has a wide range of practical experience. Jessica has advised clients in various large and mid-sized Initial Public Offering (IPO) projects, such as China Railway (HKSE code: 390), Xingye Copper (HKSE code: 505), China Singyes Solar (HKSE code: 750), etc.. Jessica also advised clients in several leading merger and acquisition (M&A) deals, such as advising China Merchants Bank (Hong Kong and Shanghai listed) in its acquisition of Wing Lung Bank (Hong Kong listed), advising Datang Telecom in its acquisition interest in Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (NYSE code: SMI, HKSE code: 981), advising China Shipping Ports Development (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd. on the acquisition of shares of APM Terminals Zeebrugge N.V. from APM TERMINALS B.V.
Litigation and Arbitration
- Advising a Singaporean company on the assets investigation of a Chinese company and the enforcement of an English arbitral award in China.
- Advising a Hong Kong company and a Dutch company in an arbitration case before CIETAC.
- Advising a Finnish company on disputes with a Chinese company on infringement of intellectual property.
- Advising a leading appliance electronic manufacturer in China on a litigation case in an Italian court.
- Advising a Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise in China relating to contract disputes with a German company by arbitration before CIETAC.
- Advising a giant State Owned Enterprise against US investment partners in AAA arbitration and several related Federal Court lawsuits
Corporate (M&A / IPO)
- Advising a leading commercial bank dual listed in China and Hong Kong in the acquisition of a Hong Kong listed local bank
- Advising a large State-owned communications company in China in becoming the largest controlling shareholder in a leading semi-conductor manufacturing company
- Advising a large State-owned shipping group on the acquisition of shares of a terminal in Belgium
- Advising China Railway on their IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advising Xingye Copper on their IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advising China Singyes on their IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Nanjing University, B.S. Environmental Science and Engineering
- Nanjing University, Bachelor of Law
- Temple University (Philadelphia), LL.M.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Listed arbitrator of SHIAC
- Listed arbitrator of CEAC
- Member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of HKIAC Users' Council
- Member of HKIAC Mediation Committee