Niels Mulder is head of the IP practice of DLA Piper in Amsterdam and co-head of the soft IP Group of DLA Piper. His practice focuses on all forms of intellectual property with a particular emphasis on brand protection, copyright, designs and unfair competition.
Niels is experienced in advising on and coordinating multi-jurisdictional IP litigation on behalf of his clients. In addition Niels has advised, developed and executed Benelux and pan-European anti-counterfeiting strategies for many clients.
He has published several articles in Dutch legal journals and has obtained many landmark decisions and has experience at every court level in the Netherlands and Europe, including five court cases at the European court of Justice.
Niels has been recommended in the IP field for more than 10 years by Chambers, MIP and the Legal 500 and has been listed by WTR 1000 and IP Stars and as one of the World's Leading Trademark Professionals for many consecutive years.
Areas of experience
- Intellectual property
- Advertising and marketing
- Libel and defamation
- Domain names
- Data protection
- Unfair competition law
- Anti-counterfeiting and piracy
- Know-how protection
- Representing several leading brands in the food & beverages sector as lead and co-ordinating litigation counsel in series different lawsuits around Europe dealing with the storage and sale of extra EEA products and decoded products by third parties, such as parallel traders and more third party logistics companies.
- Representing a number of leading brands in the fashion industry in multiple cross-border trademark infringement matters involving a large ring of traders of counterfeit goods and supporting logistics companies.
- Representing a number of leading brands a leading technology company as lead counsel with respect to infringement actions related against technology devices that infringed upon database rights.
- Representing leading technology company on its worldwide brand portfolio management.
- Representing leading food company on its worldwide brand portfolio management.
- Grotius Academy, Trade Mark Law, 2002
- Grotius Academy, IT Law, 1998
- New York University, Bar Exam, 1996
Duke University, LLM, 1995
University of Amsterdam, Dutch Law, 1994
Awards and Recognitions
Niels is recommended in the IP field by all legal directories. He is described by clients as a “one of the best strategists that a client can wish for, Mulder is a proactive and practical thinker who gives everything to ensure that his clients have the best possible outcomes.’’ WTR 1000
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the New York bar in 1996
My latest insights
DLA Piper versterkt Intellectual Property and Technology praktijk met Floris de Wit
1 June 2021 .3 minute read
36 DLA Piper lawyers in 11 countries ranked among The World's Leading Trademark...
24 February 2021 .3 minute read