Henry Quinlan is a dispute resolution lawyer with particular experience in international arbitration.
Henry advises on a wide range of arbitrations under the auspices of the DIFC-LCIA, LCIA, ICC, AAA/ICDR, DIAC and other leading arbitral institutions, as well as ad hoc and UNCITRAL arbitrations. He has handled matters in a range of industry sectors including real estate, technology, private equity/funds, energy, construction, telecoms, media, insurance and banking. He is on the arbitrator database or panel of a number of international and regional arbitral institutions, including the ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, CRCICA, ADCCAC and TRAC.
Henry accepts appointments as an arbitrator, and is presently sitting as arbitrator (sole and co-arbitrator) in a number of international arbitrations (including DIFC-LCIA and ICC). He has also handled a number of domestic and cross-border commercial disputes resolved by litigation, expert determination and mediation.
- DIFC-LCIA (sole arbitrator): dispute concerning alleged breaches of DFSA Rules, fiduciary duties and DIFC law arising from the US$ 200 million financing of a hotel project in the UAE
- ICC (co-arbitrator): c.US$25 million dispute concerning the design and construction of a mixed-use development in the UAE
- Sitting as sole/co-arbitrator in c.10 other arbitrations (ICC, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, ad hoc etc)
- Representing a prominent Indian businessman in a $600 million financial services / real estate dispute involving numerous parallel proceedings across the world, including an LCIA arbitration seated in Singapore
- Representing two prominent Indian businessmen in an LCIA (India) Rules arbitration in relation to claims totalling US $1 billion, relating to several large-scale real estate projects in India. (Seat: New Delhi; Rules: LCIA (India)
- Acting for a UAE company in a c.US$ 50 million post-acquisition/shareholder dispute with a Saudi company, in LCIA mediation and potential LCIA arbitration
- Acting as counsel in various proceedings in the DIFC, Dubai World Tribunal (including undertaking the advocacy in jurisdictional challenges)
- Queen Mary College, University of London, Diploma in International Arbitration
- Oxford University, BA (Hons), MA
- City University, Common Professional Examination in Law
The Inns of Court School of Law, Bar Vocational Course
Henry has published articles on issues relating to international arbitration (including in Arbitration International, The Status and Operation of Unilateral or Optional Arbitration Clauses and Arbitration, Dispute Resolution Developments in Bahrain: Creation of a New Arbitral Institution and Introduction of a Form of Statutory Arbitration). He writes regular articles on arbitration in the UAE and DIFC for Practical Law Company.
- Enforcement in Dubai: two recent cases, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, March 2016
- Shareholder disputes in the UAE: Corporate disputes, Sept 2015
- Mediation and ADR in the Middle East: Corporate disputes, June 2015
Henry speaks regularly at conferences on arbitration issues.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Solicitor (with higher rights of audience) of the Senior Courts of England & Wales
- Member of ICC UAE Taskforce addressing Techniques for Arbitrators in Managing Fees & Expenses
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Arbitrator, DIAC, CRCICA, DIFC-LCIA, ICC
- Society of Construction Law (Gulf)
My latest insights
Global crossroads: Navigating risks and opportunities in the intersection of Asian and...
25 January 2024 .2 minute read
DIAC completes re-launch and issues new rules; LCIA to manage ongoing DIFC-LCIA...
21 March 2022 .8 minute read