Sarah Smith is a fantastic partner. She is go-getting and commercial, whilst also never taking herself too seriously. I really enjoy working with her.,’ ‘Sarah Smith is technically excellent and committed to her clients.’ and ‘Sarah Smith is a strong lead partner with an excellent knowledge of the UK system.’
Sarah heads the UK competition team and advises on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including:
• Competition law investigations
• Appeals to the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal and EU Courts
• Market Studies and Investigations
• Behavioural competition law advice on commercial contracts and projects
• Competition law compliance and training
• EU and UK merger filings
• Multi-jurisdictional mergers
• Competition litigation
• FDI and National Security and Investment Act matters
Sarah also advises on other regulatory matters and areas of EU law.
Sarah is ranked in Legal 500 2023 as a Leading Individual and in Chambers UK 2023 and Chambers Europe 2023.
Legal 500 quotes clients who say 'Sarah Smith is a fantastic partner. She is go-getting and commercial, whilst also never taking herself too seriously. I really enjoy working with her.,' 'Sarah Smith is technically excellent and committed to her clients.' and 'Sarah Smith is a strong lead partner with an excellent knowledge of the UK system.'
- Dechra Pharmaceuticals Plc on its acquisition by EQT.
- Dentsu Group Inc on its acquisition of TAG.
- Erith Group on the CMA’s Chapter I investigation in the supply of construction services.
- John Laing on the acquisition of an indirect majority interest in Norway’s Rv555 road public-private-partnership.
- Philip Morris International on its acquisitions of Vectura Group plc, Fertin Pharma and OtiTopic.
- Korean Air on its acquisition of Asiana Airlines.
- Menzies plc in its acquisition by Agility.
- CVS plc on a UK merger investigation.
- Graphic Packaging Inc on its acquisition of AR Packaging.
- Merck KGaA in the CMA’s pay for delay investigation in paroxetine / GSK and appeal.
- Merck KGaA in the EU Commission pay for delay investigation in citalopram / Lundbeck and appeal.
- Lupin in the EU Commission pay for delay investigation in perindopril / Servier and appeal.
- Heineken UK’s acquisition of Punch Taverns.
- Heineken UK in the PCA investigation and appeal.
- Menzies plc on its acquisition of Airline Service.
- John Swire & Son’s acquisition of Biodiesel Amsterdam.
- Dechra Pharmaceuticals Plc's acquisition of Osurnia from Elanco.
- Tata Steel Europe on 3 corporate transactions.
- CEVA plc in the European Commission freight forwarding investigation and appeal.
- B.A., Politics, Philosophy & Economics, Balliol College, University of Oxford
- Postgraduate Degree, EC Competition Law, King's College London
Awards AND RECOGNITIONS
- Sarah Smith has been named as a leading Individual for EU and Competition Law and Competition Litigation - Legal 500, 2024.
- "Sarah Smith is impressive, with great client handling and a firm hand on everything." – Chambers
- "She is supportive, client-focused, easy to deal with and knowledgeable." – Chambers
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in the Republic of Ireland (non-practising)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises YouGov on the acquisition of GfK's consumer panel business
13 July 2023 .2 minute read