Dr Benjamin ParameswaranPartner
Dr Benjamin Parameswaran has vast experience in global M&A and corporate law, focusing in particular on complex cross-border transactions for major multinational corporations.
He is known in particular for his broad experience in the industrials and technology sectors, and is universally recognised as one of the leading M&A practitioners in Germany, having acted as lead advisor on some of the most prominent transactions in Europe.
Ben regularly advises the world’s largest chemicals company BASF. This has recently included assisting the company with its strategic acquisition of a 49.5% stake in the world’s largest offshore windfarm, Vattenfall’s Hollandse Kust Zuid in The Netherlands (EUR1.6 billion, overall deal value) and with the acquisition of Solvay’s multinational polyamide business (EUR1.3 billion).
With a particular focus on the industrials sector, Ben works regularly for SDAX company Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG. He regularly advises the company on global strategic M&A transactions and recently provided guidance on a comprehensive package of measures to increase profitability.
Ben is a member of various legal associations, a frequent speaker at conferences and the author of many academic and business publications on international law.
Prior to Ben’s current role as Global Co-Chair of the Corporate practice, he headed DLA Piper in Germany as Managing Partner from 2014 to 2022 and before that he led the firm’s German M&A practice. Prior to joining DLA Piper, he worked for international law firms in New York, Düsseldorf and Mumbai.
Benjamin's experience includes advising:
- BASF on the acquisition of a 49.5% (EUR1.6 billion) stake in the world’s largest offshore windfarm, Hollandse Kust Zuid in The Netherlands, from Vattenfall
- BASF on its EUR1.3 billion acquisition of Solvay's global polyamide business
- Qualcomm on its USD3.5 billion joint venture with TDK Corporation
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems on the EUR700 million structured auction sale of its international fuel injection systems business L’Orange to Woodward
- Daimler Trucks on the establishment of a fuel cell joint venture with Volvo Group
- Rolls-Royce on the acquisition of the e-aircraft business of Siemens
- Samsung on its investment in Verimi
- Heidelberger Druckmaschinen on a comprehensive package of measures to increase its profitability and in connection with various strategic M&A transactions
- Heidelberger Druckmaschinen on its Chinese production joint venture with Masterwork Group
- Bilfinger on the strategic sale of its piping construction business
- University of Hamburg (Scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, German Academic Scholarship Foundation)
- Université de Paris I (Sorbonne)
- Columbia Law School, New York
- Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg (International Max Planck Research Scholar)
- Highest State Court, Hamburg
- Harvard Business School Executive Education (HBS/DLA Piper Senior Leadership Program)
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Leading individual in M&A in Germany (aged 50 and under) for the ninth consecutive year and frequently recommended for corporate law
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for corporate law and M&A: mid-sized deals (-EUR500 million); “In my view, one of the leading lawyers for M&A and corporate law in Germany for global corporations. He always delivers excellent quality advice and is an extremely strong negotiator.”
- Chambers Europe Germany 2023: Recommended for Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market and as a ‘Foreign expert in India’ (Chambers Global 2023); "I have been impressed by the legal skills and the commercial approach of Benjamin Parameswaran", "He is good in negotiations, quick, to the point and thinks things through", "very active and does a lot of big deals", clients
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for corporate and M&A
- WirtschaftsWoche 2021: Listed as German Top Lawyer in the area of corporate and M&A
Publications and media
Memberships And Affiliations
- Hamburg Bar Association
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Alumni Club of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes)
- German Corporate Law Association (VGR)
- Indo-German Lawyer Foundation (former Vice President)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Rosen on sale of majority stake to Partners Group
28 November 2023 .3 minute read