Miriam Figueroa has extensive experience advising clients on infrastructure projects, public finance, public-private partnerships and administrative law. She has also advised government and private clients on energy related matters.
Miriam has actively participated in negotiating infrastructure, power purchase agreements and private operations contracts. She has also participated in multiple securities offerings representing issuers and underwriters and has advised private banks in commercial and real-estate based lending transactions. Miriam has advised government entities in a variety of novel transactions and financing structures, including public private partnerships in water utilities, renewable energy projects, maritime ports and airports.
Miriam had a key role in advising the Government of Puerto Rico in the process of creating the regulatory structure to implement in Puerto Rico the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, particularly new renewable energy related policy.
Miriam was also part of the multidisciplinary team participating in the financial and organizational restructuring of the Puerto Rico public electric utility. In that capacity, she had an active role in drafting and negotiating with lawmakers and other stakeholders key legislation to implement such restructuring.
Miriam also has advised clients in connection with processes before the Puerto Rico Energy Commission.
- Negotiated the Regional Consortium Contracts for the management of the Capital Improvement Program of the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority with national firms such as Malcolm Pirnie, CDM Caribbean, Black & Veatch, CSA Group and LG Scott
- Represented the Puerto Rico Tourism Development Fund in the structuring and financing of various tourism projects in Puerto Rico, including the La Concha and Vanderbilt Hotels
- Advised and represented government clients in negotiating and administering the Contract for the Operation and Maintenance of the Water and Sewer System of the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority with Ondeo de Puerto Rico (an affiliate of Suez S.A)
- Advised the Puerto Rico Infrastructure Financing Authority and the Government of Puerto Rico in the process of implementing the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, including drafting legislation, regulations, contracts and other mechanisms to define energy policy, ensure compliance with federal laws and regulations and ensuring the flow of funds and the implementation of the sponsored programs. After the conclusion and expiration of the ARRA programs, the Government of Puerto Rico initiated local programs to continue incentivizing renewable energy projects. Miriam advised and assisted the Energy Affairs Administration (the Energy Public Policy Office) in drafting new regulations and administrative procedures to create the Puerto Rico Green Energy Fund and subsequently to administer and implement the grants program
- Advised the Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico in connection with the operational and financial restructuring of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority and related processes before the Energy Commission and drafting and negotiating related legislation
- Advised the Puerto Rico Public Private Partnership and the Puerto Rico Ports Authority in connection with the evaluation of a potential privatization of mega yatch ports in the San Juan Bay
- Advises the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority in connection with the design and implementation of its "Green PRASA Program" to integrate more environmentally friendly generation of energy to its operations, including using solar and biogas sources, negotiating those contracts and administering them
- Advises clients in Latin America in connection with energy and infrastructure projects, including negotiating power purchase agreements and evaluating such agreement in purchase transactions
- Advises Puerto Rico clients entering foreign markets in the area of business intelligence services
- Advised the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnership in the procurement and negotiation process to award a thirty-years concession over 5 existing cruise piers and terminals and the rehabilitation and construction of 4 new piers in the San Juan Bay
- Advises the Puerto Rico Ports Authority in the procurement and negotiation of a contract to privatize nine regional airports, including two PART 139 airports regulated by the United States Federal Aviation Administration
- Advised the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority, as issuer, in connection with the issuance of US$1.37 billion of revenue refunding bonds, Series 2020A and federally taxable revenue refunding bonds and Series 2020B
- Advises Canadian-American joint venture (LUMA Energy) in its legal and regulatory matters after successfully winning an award for a $1.6 billion, 15-year Operation and Maintenance Agreement with the Government of Puerto Rico to operate Puerto Rico’s entire electric transmission and distribution system
- LL.M., Harvard Law School
- J.D., Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico
Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico Law Review, Editor-in-Chief 1994-1995
summa cum laude
- B.A., International Studies and Political Science, Macalester College
magna cum laude
- Chambers Global
Band 4, Puerto Rico Corporate/Commercial (2023)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for her work in Administrative Law, Project Finance and Development and Energy Law (2019-2023)
- "Lawyer Of The Year" by Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for Administrative Law (2021)
- Recognized as a top lawyer in energy by Legal 500 rankings for Latin America (2020)
Publications and Media Mentions
- Author, "Public-private partnerships in Puerto Rico: Key Points," March 2017
- Mentioned in "Bufete global de abogadas planta bandera en Puerto Rico," elnuevodia.com, August 28, 2016
- Quoted in "Catch-22,” P3 Bulletin, Volume 5, Issue 2
Leadership and Pro Bono work
- Co-Chair of the Public-Private Partnership Special Project integration initiative at DLA Piper and is a member of the DLA Piper local Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Miriam provides legal assistance and general support to a foster home and adoption agency in Puerto Rico in their processes of coordinating and effecting adoptions in Puerto Rico.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association