Nick Valentine is a highly regarded practitioner with extensive experience in technology, IP and telecommunications transactions.
Nick advises public and private sector entities on large-scale business process and IT outsourcing and systems integration; software development and licensing; data protection and privacy; telecommunications services agreements and infrastructure rollouts; media rights and online content distribution; supply chain and logistics; and brand protection.
Nick's clients value his commercial approach - combining technical excellence with an ability to make the complex simple and understand the strategic objectives of a deal.
- Acting for one of Australasia's largest banks in the outsourcing of its application service provider and cybersecurity functions to offshore service providers
- Acting for a multinational financial services provider in drafting and negotiating a licence of its APIs to a white label credit card provider to facilitate data access for use within the customer's banking app (a key strategic initiative in light of recent open data reforms)
- Acting for public sector entities in business process and IT outsourcing projects, including enterprise resource planning systems integration and the implementation of a new core financial management system
- Advising a large telecommunications provider in its sponsorship and digital rights deal for mobile streaming and sponsorship of the NRL
- Advised one of Australasia's largest FMCG retailers on its negotiation of a master services agreement for the provision of various support and maintenance services for its flagship, fully automated distribution centre
- Acted for Telstra in the renegotiation of Telstra’s AU$11.2 billion agreements with NBN Co for the rollout of Australia’s National Broadband Network, and the subsequent AU$1.5 billion agreement for Telstra’s assistance in the rollout of the hybrid fibre coaxial network
- Otago University, BA (Economics), 2010
- Otago University, LLB, 2010
Nick was previously a Senior Associate at an international firm based in Sydney. He has also been on a number of client secondments in the technology, telecommunications, and FMCG sectors.
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Five V Capital on its divestment of Totara Learning Solutions
17 October 2023 .2 minute read
New Zealand's Privacy Commissioner follows global trends with latest guidance on AI
28 September 2023 .10 minute read