Xavier Guzman is a Banking, Finance and Restructuring lawyer. He has in-depth experience on cross-border banking and finance work (including secured lending, leveraged and acquisition finance, energy finance, sports finance, and funds finance), bond issuances and securitisation.
Xavier has created close client relationships aiming at being at the forefront of his clients' needs by thinking innovative. He regularly advises a vast panel of banks and financial institutions, alternative credit providers, asset managers, private equity houses, real estate investment structures, (re)insurance companies, and other international corporates.
Much of the work that he does is the Luxembourg element of complex projects, advising clients on their finance, acquisition and restructuring needs for business activities that span multiple jurisdictions and continents.
He regularly publishes articles and newsflashes thereby providing market insights to clients and players on the changes in legislation, trends and other important events of the Luxembourg legal market.
Xavier has acted and led on a number of groundbreaking transactions, including advising a private equity firm in the multi-billion financing and acquisition of a Dutch bank dealing with assets located in 12 jurisdictions, a leading institutional investor on the global energy sector on the USD 10 billion financing of the acquisition of an equity stake in a state-owned company, or an investment fund in the senior project finance loan for the acquisition of a Nordic onshore wind portfolio.
- Luxembourg Bar School (cours complémentaires), University of Luxembourg, 2008
- Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Master Degree in International Business Law, 2006
- Xavier was rated in Legal 500 as “Next Generation Partner” (2020-2022) and considered for being “an extraordinarily competent partner in Luxembourg”
- "Xavier Guzman combines a unique set of great technical and soft skills. His hands-on and pragmatic approach permit clients to get matters completed in a seamless fashion." Legal 500, 2022
- “Xavier Guzman is always proactive and provides valuable input.” Legal 500, 2021
- “Xavier Guzman never lets us down, which is key to being successful in this changing and challenging environment.” Legal 500, 2020
- Xavier was rated in Leaders League as “Recommended”, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Xavier was rated in IFLR1000 as “Notable practitioner”, 2022
- Xavier was rated in IFLR1000 as “Rising star” and considered for being “very responsive”, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Xavier was rated in Legal 500 as “Recommended” and considered for being “professional and responsive”, 2018
- Xavier was considered in Legal 500 as “outstanding at worldwide restructuring projects”, 2017
- Have you considered this for the enforcement of a Luxembourg pledge over shares?, AGEFI, November 2021
- Clarity on financial assistance rules, April 2021
- The new professional payment guarantee – Luxembourg reinforces its legal toolkit (ahead of Brexit), March 2021
- Coronavirus in Luxembourg – extension of the flexibilities with respect to corporate bodies’ meetings, September 2020
- Post-state of crisis flexibilities in Luxembourg, July 2020
- Coronavirus in Luxembourg – An overview of the main measures adopted in the corporate, financial and insurance sectors, April 2020
- Brexit for the insurance sector: No-deal regimes in the UK and Europe, September 2019
- 2017 to date: Partner, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2015-17: Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2014-15: Senior Legal Counsel, International Insurance Company, Luxembourg
- 2008-14: Senior Associate, International Law Firm, Luxembourg
- 2013 (2 months): Secondment - US Law Firm, New York
- 2007-08: Associate, Magic Circle Law Firm, Luxembourg
- 2006: Associate, French Law Firm, Hong Kong
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Luxembourg Banker’s Association (ABBL)
- Member of the Spanish Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB) in Luxembourg
My latest insights
DLA Piper launches an Insurance practice in Luxembourg with new hire
20 February 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper Luxembourg advises Novaxia Investissement on land acquisition in Luxembourg
22 August 2022 .2 minute read