Tricia Hobson has worked within the insurance sector for over 25 years and is a globally recognised industry leader with extensive experience in claims, complex multi-party litigation, cross border disputes, investigations and arbitrations.
Tricia has one of the longest standing and significant London market practices in Australia and splits her time between both DLA Piper’s Sydney and London offices bringing true connection between these markets. She is a leading class actions lawyer accountable for leadership strategy and negotiations in many of the largest class actions in Australia covering natural catastrophes, securities, mass tort, and construction and infrastructure.
Tricia has acted in many high profile, complex directors and officers disputes, as well as on a range of other matters including complex coverage disputes, professional indemnity, warranty and indemnity, cyber risk, product development, ASIC related actions, bribery and corruption investigations and whistle blower allegations. Her experience extends to advisory work for directors and Boards advising on risk, cyber, governance, D&I and culture.
Tricia has been noted in the Asia Pacific Legal500 "Hall of Fame" for insurance and is described as "a generational leader without peer for London market knowledge". She is also a Band 1 ranked practitioner in Global Chambers, with clients regarding her as "one of the best class action lawyers in Australia".
In addition to her legal practice Tricia dedicates time giving back to the legal profession through mentoring and coaching, and to the community through NED roles for NFP organisations.
- Defending the senior flood engineer in a class action arising from the 2011 Queensland floods and the operation of the Dam through the flood event. This is Australia’s largest class action with approximately 7,000 class members and estimated damages in excess of AUD1.5 billion.*
- Acting for WSP Engineers in class action commenced in relation to Opal Towers. High profile construction case with evacuation on Christmas Eve.*
- Acting for ABL in a class action arising from collapse of Slater & Gordon share price following failed expansion in UK. Unique case involving law firm sued by non-client.*
- Acting for a senior C-level executive of a large global company in an ASIC bribery and corruption.*
- Investigation for activities in a foreign jurisdiction. The investigation is part of a global effort by ASIC in Australia, the SFO in the UK and the DOJ in the US.*
- Acting for independent directors of a large financial institution in relation to whistle blower allegations and allegations of improper handling by the board. Also the subject of a parliamentary inquiry.*
- Advising in relation to one of Australia’s highest profile and largest breach incidents, and assisting in highlighting third party vendor cyber security risk and recovery action.*
* Denotes experience from a previous firm
- CEO Global Program: A Transformational Journey. A joint school program with China Europe International Business School, Shanghai (Module I); Wharton, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (Module II — Strategic finance); and IESE Business School, University of Navarra, Barcelona (Module III) (2017/2018). Follow up program in Silicon Valley (July 2019)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), Company Directors Course, 2015
- Harvard Business School, Authentic Leadership Course, 2015
University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Science BSc, Physics and Mathematics major, 1990
University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Laws LLB, 1990
- Recognised as one of the top 30 leading practitioners in Insurance and Reinsurance section – Expert Guides Best of the Best Global 2022
- Leading class action lawyer in APL500 since 2016: “highly rated practice head”
- Leading insurance lawyer in APL500 for the last 10 years: stands out for her “her unmatched level of experience in class actions” and hailed as “a generational leader without peer for her London market knowledge.”
- Ranked Band No.1 practitioner in Chambers (local and global Chambers) since 2009: recognised by clients to be “one of the best class action lawyers in Australia.” Also noted as being “an extremely bright and diligent practitioner”, having “a deep level of experience on complex multiparty litigation, both locally and internationally,” being “very sound at advising on financial lines” with one source characterising her as a “fiercely intelligent lawyer who really fights your corner.” Also referred to “as legend in this space”
- Best Lawyers: Listed for Class Actions Litigation, since 2016; and Insurance Law since 2012. Litigation since 2018
- Doyle's Guide: ranked as Preeminent Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyers NSW, since 2016
- Recognised as a notable practitioner in Chambers UK Insurance Global wide category 2017
- Who's Who Legal: recognised Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, since 2015
- Recognised as Leading Female Lawyer: Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law 2013, and finalist for the Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law Awards 2014. Nominated ‘Leading Female Lawyer’ Euromoney LMG Woman in Business Awards 2016
- Acritas star since 2016
Memberships And Affiliations
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- International Bar Association