Nick Valentine is a highly regarded practitioner with extensive experience in technology, IP and telecommunications transactions.
Nick advises public and private sector entities on large-scale business process and IT outsourcing and systems integration; software development and licensing; data protection and privacy; telecommunications services agreements and infrastructure rollouts; media rights and online content distribution; supply chain and logistics; and brand protection.
Nick's clients value his commercial approach - combining technical excellence with an ability to make the complex simple and understand the strategic objectives of a deal.
- Acting for one of Australasia's largest banks in the outsourcing of its application service provider and cybersecurity functions to offshore service providers
- Acting for a multinational financial services provider in drafting and negotiating a licence of its APIs to a white label credit card provider to facilitate data access for use within the customer's banking app (a key strategic initiative in light of recent open data reforms)
- Acting for public sector entities in business process and IT outsourcing projects, including enterprise resource planning systems integration and the implementation of a new core financial management system
- Advising a large telecommunications provider in its sponsorship and digital rights deal for mobile streaming and sponsorship of the NRL
- Advised one of Australasia's largest FMCG retailers on its negotiation of a master services agreement for the provision of various support and maintenance services for its flagship, fully automated distribution centre
- Acted for Telstra in the renegotiation of Telstra’s AU$11.2 billion agreements with NBN Co for the rollout of Australia’s National Broadband Network, and the subsequent AU$1.5 billion agreement for Telstra’s assistance in the rollout of the hybrid fibre coaxial network
- Otago University, BA (Economics), 2010
- Otago University, LLB, 2010
Nick was previously a Senior Associate at an international firm based in Sydney. He has also been on a number of client secondments in the technology, telecommunications, and FMCG sectors.
My latest insights
Proposed overhaul of New Zealand's media and online content regulation
8 June 2023 .6 minute read