Rafael Jordão BussièrePartner
Deputy Managing Partner, Rio De Janeiro
LatAm Practice Group Co-Leader, Real Estate at DLA Piper
Rafael Jordão Bussière advises domestic and international companies in real estate matters. He focuses on the development of large-scale real estate, hospitality and leisure, built-to-suit, construction and infrastructure projects.
Rafael has assisted in major events and hotel projects in Brazil, as well as in the revitalization of Rio de Janeiro’s harbor area.
He is a member of the Real Estate Law Committee of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), the Brazilian Real Estate Law Institute (IBRADIM) and the Brazilian Real Estate Lawyers Association (Associação Brasileira de Advogados do Mercado Imobiliário).
Before joining the firm, Rafael worked at two Brazilian law firms, where he gained experience in corporate, real estate, civil, probate and family law, among other matters.
In 2010, he joined Campos Mello Advogados, where he stayed until June 2019, when he was invited to serve as Special Advisor to the Secretariat of Coordination and Governance of the Real Estate Assets of the Union within Brazil’s Ministry of the Economy. Through this role, Rafael assisted in modernizing the government’s management and rationalizing the use of its real properties. He played a leading role in the creation and passing of Law No. 14.011/20.
Rafael returned to the firm in October 2020.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
Major Representative Matters
- Advised BAIT in the acquisition of a real estate property located at Rua Francisco Otaviano, a seaside site located between the Ipanema and Copcacabana beaches
- Advised a Brazilian shopping center developer, operator and owner on the BRL200 million acquisition of a 36,000-square-meter property from a major retail corporation, located in a high-profile district of Rio de Janeiro
- Advised a Brazilian shopping center developer, operator and owner on the BRL165 million sale of a major office building to a subsidiary of an enterprise software company
- Advised a consortium formed by leading Brazilian construction and real estate companies in a BRL6.5 billion mixed-use real estate development encompassing the construction of two hotels and several corporate, office and residential buildings in a 850,000-square-meter area of Rio de Janeiro
- Advised a global hospitality company on the land acquisition and structuring of a mixed-use real estate development, encompassing a 436-room hotel and two residential buildings in a 46,000-square-meter oceanfront property located in a high-profile district of Rio de Janeiro
- Advised a leading Brazilian multinational on a PPP related to the construction of a major athletic complex in Rio de Janeiro
- Advised a leading Brazilian multinational on the land acquisition and structuring of a 620,000-square-meter mixed-use real estate development in Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro
- Chambers Brazil: Transactional
- Up and Coming, Brazil Real Estate (2023)
- Chambers Latin America
- Up and Coming, Brazil Real Estate (2018-2019)
- The Legal 500 Latin America
- Recognized as Leading individual in Real Estate: 2024
- Mentioned in Real Estate: 2016 - 2023
- Recommended, Brazil Environment (2022)
- Next Generation Partner, Brazil Real Estate (2017-2018, 2022)
- Recommended, Brazil Real Estate (2016)
- Recognized as Global Leader in Real Estate: 2021 - 2023
- Who's Who Legal, Brazil, Recognized as Global Leader in Real Estate: 2021 - 2023
- Who's Who Legal, Brazil, Recognized as National Leader in Real Estate: 2021 - 2022
- Best Lawyers, Brazil, Recognized as Lawyer of The Year, Rio De Janeiro: 2023
- Best Lawyers, Brazil, Recognized in Real Estate: 2022 and 2023
- Latin Lawyer 250, Brazil, Mentioned in Real Estate: 2024
- Author, "Beyond the crisis – Real estate opportunities in Brazil," Chambers Latin America and Migalhas International
Excellence and Relationship
Memberships And Affiliations
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo
- Member at Legislative Affairs Commission, Brazilian Bar Association Rio De Janeiro Chapter (OAB - RJ)
- Director at IBRADIM (the Brazilian Real Estate Law Institute)
- Member at Brazilian Real Estate Lawyers Association (Associação Brasileira de Advogados do Mercado Imobiliário)
My latest insights
Campos Mello Advogados advises Carmo Energy in the closing of its acquisition of...
17 January 2023 .3 minute read
Campos Mello Advogados advises Starboard in joint acquisition of Pampa Sul power plant in...
27 September 2022 .3 minute read