Roberto Vianna do R. BarrosPartner
Roberto Vianna do R. Barros is a partner in Campos Mello Advogados' Banking and Project Finance practice, based in São Paulo.
Roberto focuses his practice on corporate law, capital markets, project finance and banking. He represents a wide variety of investment and commercial banks, as well as Brazilian and international companies across various sectors, including industrial services and infrastructure.
Roberto regularly advises clients on issues involving project and structured finance, asset securitization, equity, and debt offerings of private and public issuers in Brazil. He works extensively with banking regulation, particularly with regard to foreign bank and bank derivative activities in Brazil, mergers and acquisitions, and related corporate transactions.
Recent editions of Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America named Roberto as a leader in banking and finance, as well as in capital markets. He has been described by clients as one of "the most talented lawyers active in Brazil."
Before joining the firm in 2010, Roberto was partner at a Brazilian law firm in cooperation with an international law practice and, before that, served as an associate at two prominent Brazilian law firms.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Banco Santander in the assignment of several non-performing loan portfolios with a total face value of more than R$10 billion
- Spanish financing company Compañía Española de Financiación del Desarrollo (COFIDES) on entering into a €6 million financing agreement with ULMA Brasil Fôrmas e Escoramentos, Brazilian subsidiary of Spanish ULMA Construcción, one of the world's major manufacturers of formwork and scaffolding systems
- US investment fund Meserole on a US$11.4 million project financing and development of a Brazilian company's ore extraction activities in the state of Mato Grosso, in Brazil
- Banco do Brasil S,A., acting through its Grand Cayman Branch, in connection with the execution of a USD 500 million term facility from China Development Bank. The loan represents the first financing between the two entities, demonstrating the evolving commercial relationship between Brazil and China
- Export-Import Bank of China in a US$270 million credit facility to State Grid Brazil Holding, Brazilian subsidiary of Chinese energy company State Grid
- Rabobank International Paris in a €40 million credit facility to Tereos Internacional, Brazilian subsidiary of the Tereos Group, dedicated to sugarcane and cereal processing activities
- Banco do Brasil S.A. with the issuance of Senior Unsecured Social Bonds, the first transaction of this nature performed by a Brazilian financial institution
- Coremas Holding S.A. and Coremas Holding II S.A., both subsidiaries of Grupo Rio Alto, with the drafting, negotiation, and execution of the necessary documents for the companies’ second issuance of debentures in the Brazilian local market to finance solar power plants projects in the Northeast region of Brazil
- Banco Votorantim S.A. in the issuance of USD500,000,000 4.375% Senior Notes due 2025, issued under the USD5,000,000,000 Global Medium-Term Note Program
- Banco BTG Pactual S.A., an investment bank and asset and wealth manager with a dominant franchise in Brazil and with a shareholder’s equity of approximately BRL 20 billion, acting through its Cayman Islands Branch, in the issuance of USD600,000,000 7.750% Subordinated Notes due 2029 in the international market
- LL.M., University of Paris 1997
- B.A., Law, Direito pela Universidade de São Paulo 1994
- Chambers Global
- 2022 - Band 3, Brazil Banking & Finance
- 2015 - Band 4, Brazil Banking & Finance
- 2015 - Band 4, Brazil Capital Markets
- Chambers Latin America
- 2017-21 - Band 3, Brazil Banking & Finance
- 2016 - Band 4, Brazil Banking & Finance
- Chambers Brazil
- 2021 - Band 3, Brazil Transactional Banking & Finance
- The Legal 500 Latin America
- 2022 - Recommended, Brazil Banking & Finance
- 2022 - Recommended, Brazil Capital Markets
- 2013-21 - Recommended, Brazil Banking & Finance
- 2014-21 - Recommended, Brazil Capital Markets
- "Leading Individual in Banking & Finance"
- IFLR 1000: 2013 – 2021
- Who's Who Legal Brazil: 2013 – 2021
- LACCA: 2019 – 2021
- "One of the most admired Brazilian lawyers in Banking"
- Análise Advocacia 500: 2016
- "Leading Individual in Capital Markets"
- IFLR 1000: 2013 – 2019
- The Legal 500: Recommended Lawyer, 2014 – 2016, 2018
- "Leading individual in M&A"
- IFLR 1000: 2013 – 2019
- "Leading individual in Project Finance"
- IFLR 1000: 2016, 2018 – 2019
- Deal of the year in Corporate Finance’s category for the legal assistance provided to the Pension Fund of the State of Rio de Janeiro – RioPrevidência in the Oil Royalty Securitization operation, valued 2 billion dollar - Latin Lawyer 2014
- Roberto Barros was included in the 2020 Best Lawyers in Latin America for Administrative Law, Banking and Finance Law, Corporate and M&A Law, Project Finance and Development Practice in Brazil.
- Campos Mello Advogados was the first full-service Brazilian law firm to consistently use the NPS (Net Promoter Score) method. In the first year using the method, the firm achieved grade 83.
- Professor, Derivatives, LL.M. course, Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa, São Paulo (2008/2009)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro Chapters
My latest insights
Campos Mello Advogados advises Carmo Energy in the closing of its acquisition of...
17 January 2023 .3 minute read
Digital banking is booming across Latin America, disrupting the sector and enhancing...
16 May 2022 .4 minute read