Partner, UK Corporate Crime & Investigations Group
Patrick's practice focuses on a range of corporate and white-collar crime matters, international bribery, corruption, money laundering, fraud, and sanctions issues. Patrick represents companies and individuals, and has been involved with a number of high profile investigations and prosecutions – including Global Investigations Review’s “Most Important Case of 2020”: SFO v Barclay’s Bank. He works across high risk sectors and high risk jurisdictions.
Patrick's practice includes proactive, preventative advice for corporate clients (such as compliance programme design, drafting policies and procedures, conducting risk assessments and due diligence, advising on mergers and acquisitions, as well as training and compliance audits). Patrick regularly advises on the conduct of internal investigations, and responding to government investigations and prosecutions.
Patrick also advises international governments on changes to their ABC and AML regimes and trains their judiciary, prosecutors and investigators.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Patrick was Joint Head of the Bribery and Corruption divisions at the UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO). He has significant experience of corporate self-reporting, acting as the SFO’s point of contact for all such reports, was involved in the changes to the SFO's self-reporting processes, and helped introduce deferred prosecution agreements (DPAs) in the United Kingdom.
- Advising an international telecoms company on due diligence issues arising from OTT media acquisition, operations in Belarus & former CIS countries, and on money laundering risks from past acquisitions, across Egypt, Algeria and Pakistan, arising in arbitral proceedings.
- Advising a manpower services company on merger and acquisition issues, and conducting ABC and AML investigation advising on AML and self-reporting issues, and compliance programme review for operations in Kazakhstan, Korea and Australia.
- Advising a global marketing services group on numerous acquisitions across Hungary, Cyprus, Russia, assessing bribery & corruption, money laundering & sanctions risks, and follow-on reporting obligations.
- Conducting an investigation into a publicly listed international oil and gas company, into allegations of suspected bribery, advising on corporate settlement, advising on action against individuals.
- Advising Board members of publicly listed international pharmaceutical company about an international criminal investigation into suspected bribery, participating in criminal interviews.
- Conducting an internal investigation into a NASDAQ listed biopharmaceuticals company, into allegations of fraud, conducting a gap analysis of compliance polices and procedures.
- Advising an international biochemical company on allegations of suspected bribery, self-reporting to the authorities and impact on proposed IPO.
- Conducting an investigation into allegations of invoice fraud for an international speciality chemicals company, advising on AML reporting obligations, advising on compliance program improvements.
- Advising a technology and defense company on devising a full suite of global compliance programs covering ABC, AML, Fraud, Tax evasion and competition, as well as undertaking third party due diligence.
- Advising a private equity company on proposed acquisition of a number of international pharmaceutical companies, suspected of criminal activities, advising on AML reporting obligations, advising on pre and post acquisition remediation and compliance program improvements.
- Advising a pipeline services company on third party agents, sanctions issues, compliance program review, and whistleblower complaints.
- Assisting a leading multinational company operating in the oil and gas sector in relation to anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and compliance matters and conducting a global corporate liability regulatory assessment in over 60 jurisdictions across nine areas of compliance law.
- Advising an international betting and gambling company on devising a global dawn raid policy.
- Pembroke College, Oxford University, MA Jurisprudence, 2010
- Inns of Court School of Law, Bar Vocational Course 1995
- Pembroke College, Oxford University, BA Jurisprudence, 1994
Portora Royal School, Enniskillen
- Most Important Case of the Year (SFO v Barclays), Global Investigations Review, 2020
- Outstanding Employed Barrister in a Law Firm award, Bar Council of England & Wales, 2020
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal 2020, Best Lawyers in the UK 2019; Legal 500 UK, 2013-2018
- No "one-size-fits-all": Read the SFO guidance on evaluating compliance programmes, Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence, 3 February 2020
- Reflecting on unauthorised wealth orders: Considerations for mortgagees, 2 September 2019
- The Information Commissioner's Office's new enforcement powers, 20 Feb 2019
- Failed Tesco trial shows that when it comes to evidence, every little helps, 13 Dec 2018
- What now for the SFO: New director, new direction?, 5 Dec 2018
- Foreign Companies Compelled to Produce Materials - The scope of the SFO's powers redefined, 24 Sep 2018
- Drafted the chapter on "UK Bribery Act" for the "Treatise on Compliance", 2018
- Debarred - Navigating the World Bank's Sanctions Processes, 2016
- Anti-Bribery Laws - foreign guns pointing at Africans' heads, 2015
- Editor of "Deferred prosecution Agreements: The Law and Practice of negotiated corporate criminal penalties" by Polly Sprenger, 2015
- External Examiner for BPP University London, LLM Program on Financial Crime, Regulation, Compliance & Investigations
- Chair and organiser of ABC Horizon Scanning, Virtual Symposium, International Compliance & Regulations Management, 2020
- ‘What Will Compliance Look Like in the Next Decade?’ ABC Minds, Energy & Extractives, 2020
- ‘Conducting a Complex AML Investigation’, AML & ABC Forum, 2020
- Chair and organiser of ABC Summit, 2017-2019, Corporate Parity, Amsterdam
- Regular speaker at the Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime, 2013-2019
- Patrick regularly gives lectures and trainings for clients, associations and at conferences
- Partner, London office of International law firm 2013-2018
- Head of the Bribery & Corruption Divisions, UK Serious Fraud Office 2012-2013
- Case Controller & Investigative lawyer, Serious Fraud Office 2008-2012
- Criminal Law specialist barrister [Trial attorney] 1996-2008
Memberships And Affiliations
- Trustee of the Fraud Advisory Panel
- Past Chairman of the Bar Association of Commerce, Finance and Industry
- Member of the UK Anti-Corruption Forum
- Master of the Bench of the Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
- Member of the General Management Committee of the Bar Council of England & Wales
- Member of the Employed Bar Committee of the Bar Council
- Bar Vocational Course
- Degree of the Utter Barrister
My latest insights
UK: Latest actions against corruption and financial crime by Parliament and the regulators
13 April 2023 .5 minute read