Timothy Tan has over 15 years’ experience of helping clients with South East Asian finance, debt restructuring and special situation investments. He represents international banks, investment funds and corporate borrowers in transactions across Asia.
Tim has in-depth knowledge and experience of event-driven leveraged finance, and contentious Asian debt restructuring and enforcement. This means he is one of the few lawyers able to provide holistic risk mitigation, enforcement analysis and structuring advice specific to the legal framework and practical realities in developing countries in Asia.
Tim advises clients on acquisition finance, bridge and pre-IPO financing, mezzanine lending and intercreditor structures, refinancings, rescue finance, and hybrid investments.
He divides his time between the Bangkok and Singapore offices and has advised clients on transactions across Indonesia, Thailand, the PRC, India, the Philippines and Singapore.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Tim worked for a leading international law firm.
Banking and Finance
- Advising PT Media Nusantara Citra Tbk on the refinancing of its USD250 million capex and working capital facility arranged by Deutsche Bank, ING Bank and Standard Chartered Bank
- Representing the lender group in a USD235 million mezzanine facility arranged for Rajawali group to finance its acquisition of certain palm oil assets in Indonesia; the overall acquisition financing included a USD325 million senior facility agreement and was structured with a combination of partial security sharing arrangements and standalone credit support
- Advising Credit Suisse and Macquarie Bank as joint arrangers of an up to USD250 million leveraged financing provided to the Canadoil group of companies in Thailand
- Advising Deutsche Bank as sole arranger of a USD120 million structured three-tier credit facility provided to a large Hong Kong listed and PRC based real estate conglomerate with outstanding debt (including public bond issuances) in excess of USD6 billion
- Advising Deutsche Bank in respect of a proposed rescue financing to be provided to a China-based solar power company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange with combined onshore and offshore debts of over USD900 million
- Advising Capital Square Partners for its USD200 million senior and mezzanine acquisition financing facilities in respect of the leveraged buyout of the Aegis group of companies
Tim's experience includes advising:
- International bondholders of high yield bonds and convertible bonds issued by PT Berlian Laju Tanker group of companies
- International noteholders in the restructuring of USD238 million senior secured notes guaranteed by PT Davomas Abadi Tbk
- Tata Steel UK as creditor in relation to the USD1.4 billion default and Thai rehabilitation process of Sahaviriya Steel Industries PCL (SSI), the largest debt restructuring in Thailand since the 1997 Asian financial crisis
- Deutsche Bank in respect of the comprehensive restructuring of the ASX-listed Paladin Energy group of companies, including the provision of USD60 million structured rescue financing, formal Voluntary Administration and Australian court driven Deed of Company Arrangement (DOCA) process, acquisition of USD277 million secured debt claims, USD115 million new Notes offering and Canadian court driven compromise proceedings; this was recognised as the Restructuring and Insolvency Deal of the Year at the Australasian Law Awards 2019
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- National University of Singapore, LL.B. (Hons), 2004
Awards and recognitions
- Band 2 lawyer, Corporate & Finance (Expertise Based Abroad), Thailand, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022
- Ranked lawyer, Banking & Finance (Expertise Based Abroad), Thailand, Chambers Global 2016-22
- Ranked lawyer, Banking & Finance, International, Singapore, Chambers Asia Pacific 2016-22 and Chambers Global 2017-22
- Ranked lawyer, Banking & Finance (Foreign Expert for Thailand), Singapore, Chambers Global 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Foreign Firms, Indonesia; Banking and Finance, Singapore and Thailand; Restructuring and Insolvency, Thailand, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020-22
- One of Singapore's Top 100 lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal 2019
- Named one of Singapore's top 100 lawyers in the A-List by Asia Business Law Journal 2019