Colin Wilson has over 28 years' experience of helping clients with major infrastructure projects, regularly acting for central government, financial institutions and corporates.
He has been the lead lawyer on, most notably, several high profile and complex international transport, defence, security, technology, healthcare, accommodation, infrastructure and public private partnership projects.
Colin focuses particularly on cross border joint ventures, concessions, outsourcings and projects, and was at the forefront to the impact of COVID-19 on several major infrastructure initiatives.
He was also spent on secondment with the UK Ministry of Defence on several significant defence projects.
- Heathrow Expansion Programme - advising the UK Department for Transport on the proposed New Runway at Heathrow Airport. The nationally significant multi-billion pound new runway capacity programme is a milestone development in the UK's infrastructure programme and will improve domestic and international transport.
- Intercity Express Programme - advised Agility Trains, a consortium comprising Hitachi and John Laing for the multi-award-winning GBP5.7 billion replacement of rolling stock, maintenance depots and services for the Great Western Mainline and East Coast Mainline routes.
- Defence Support Group - advised Babcock on its successful bid for the acquisition of DSG from UK Ministry of Defence and the related long term service contract including provision for MR01-3 and MR04 military vehicle services.
- Kenya Medical Equipment Services (MES) Project - worked with local lawyers, Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates to support the Government of the Republic of Kenya with its series of first MES projects. This is the first time a MES PPP structure has been used in Kenya to procure medical equipment. It is changing the face of healthcare in Kenya through the delivery of first class, internationally accredited, medical equipment with an innovative contractual and financing structure to ensure a transparent and affordable programme.
- Future Solid Support Ships - advising the UK Ministry of Defence on the GBP1.5 billion procurement of three new support ships for the Carrier Taskforce.
- Allenby & Connaught advised Sodexo Defence Services on the award winning GBP8 billion PPP project for the redevelopment of Aldershot and Tidworth Garrisons.
- Search and Rescue - advised the Lockheed Martin and VT Group Plc Airknight Consortium on its bid for the GBP6 billion UK MoD Search and Rescue Helicopter project.
- Space Norway - advised Northrop Grumman on the Space Norway satellite programme.
- Colchester Garrison - advised UK Ministry of Defence on the GBP2 billion award winning, PPP project for the construction of Colchester Garrison.
- Islamabad Airport - advised Lagan Construction Limited on its successful bid to develop the runway at Islamabad Airport.
- Harvard Management Course
- College of Law, York
- Nottingham Trent University, LSF and LLB Degree (Hons)
Awards and recognition
- Ranked lawyer, Projects: PFI/PPP, UK-wide, Chambers UK 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Rail, London, The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Firm of the Year, Energy & Natural Resources, The Legal 500 UK Awards 2020
- Partnership Bulletin Legal Adviser of the Year, 2013 and 2016
- Infrastructure and Projects Team of the Year 2013, The Lawyer
- Transportation and Infrastructure Team of the Year 2016, The African Legal Awards
- Highly Commended, Lawyer of the Year, Legal Business Awards 2013
My latest insights
Reforming the Single Source Regulatory Framework: a more strategic approach?
26 April 2022
DLA Piper appoints new International Projects partner in London from Shearman & Sterling
5 April 2022 .3 minute read