Dr Markus Gampp LL.M.Partner
Markus Gampp is an experienced patent litigator who advises and represents clients from various industries in complex patent infringement and invalidity proceedings and other IP-related litigation.
In particular, Markus has extensive experience in litigating major patent disputes, including strategic advice (e.g. as part of multi-jurisdictional litigation) and the respective antitrust advice (e.g. on standard-essential patents).
Markus has special expertise in the field of IT (consumer electronics, telecommunications, media and technology) and in the Industrials sector, including the automotive, aviation and manufacturing industries.
In addition to the enforcement of intellectual property rights and trade secrets, Markus also advises regards patent transfer, licensing and employee inventions.
Markus is regularly recognized by leading guides and ranking institutions as one of Germany's top patent litigators (c.f. Chambers, Legal 500, JUVE, IAM Patent 1000, IAM Strategy 300, Best Lawyers, WIPR Leaders Patents, Expert Guides Patents, IP Stars, Leaders League, etc.). He has published numerous articles and commentaries on various subjects of IP and patent law and is a frequent speaker at international conferences. Markus heads the German patent practice and is a Co-Chair of DLA Piper’s global patent group.
Markus is DLA Piper's key contact for all questions relating to the introduction of the Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court system and the author of several articles and the UPC section of our website, which can be found at dlapiper.com/upc.
- Advice and representation of two globally leading automotive suppliers in multiple extensive patent litigation campaigns brought by a US-based chip manufacturer against several leading car manufacturers, relating to various technologies integrated in multimedia- and infotainment systems in vehicles such as connectivity, interfacing, networking, data transmission, graphics processing, etc
- Advising and representing a globally leading automotive supplier in several very extensive patent litigation campaigns brought by multiple holders of standard-essential patents (and members of the Avanci patent pool) relating to mobile telecommunication technology against a leading car manufacturer, including FRAND licensing negotiations.
- Advising and representing a globally leading US-based IT-/Software manufacturer in patent litigation brought by a Non-Practicing Entity, relating to technology for touchscreen devices. Further including representation of two OEM manufacturers, in each case in the respective infringement proceedings and in a joint nullity action.
- Representing a US-based global market leader in mobile and computer connectivity devices and peripherals in a multi-patent litigation, relating to the alleged infringement of several patents by various wireless charging devices allegedly implementing the Qi wireless charging standard, including corresponding advice on FRAND licensing issues.
- Advising and representing a global market leader in Wired and Wireless LAN Access Infrastructure in a patent litigation brought by a Non-Practicing Entity, based on the alleged infringement of multiple patents relating to virtual private local area network services (VPLS) and the corresponding nullity actions.
- Advising and representing a German globally leading supplier of technology and services in a multitude of patent infringement and validity proceedings relating to automotive parts against an international competitor.
- Advising a globally leading automotive supplier in patent matters with respect to the assertion and licensing of standard-essential patents by individual patent holders and patent pools.
- Advising and representing an Italian world market leader for motor sport and extreme sport apparel and accessories in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute with its competitor, based on multiple patents, in both the infringement and parallel nullity and opposition proceedings.
- Advice and representation of a customer and licensee of a globally leading US-based multinational computer technology corporation as defendant in patent infringement proceedings against a lawsuit brought by one of the largest non-practicing entities regarding network technology, as well as in the corresponding nullity proceedings.
- Advising a US-based global market leader in consumer and enterprise technology regarding patent matters, including the alleged infringement of patents relating to LED technology.
- Advising and representing a globally leading US-based provider of biometric identity verification and enrolment solutions in patent infringement and validity proceedings relating to personal authentication systems.
- Advising and representing a globally leading US-based sportswear company in patent matters, including defending against allegations of infringement of patents and utility models regarding various sporting goods and apparel.
- Advising and representing a globally leading airline in patent litigation proceedings (infringement and nullity actions) brought by a non-practicing entity relating to mobile boarding services and the respective App.
- Advising a US-based manufacturer of innovative battery technology in patent matters.
- Representing a globally leading US-based consumer electronics company in a multitude of extensive and complex multi-jurisdictional patent litigation proceedings (infringement and nullity actions) against multiple competitors in several instances, including cross-jurisdictional strategic advice and coordination.
- Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Dr. jur., 2006
- University of San Diego, School of Law, Master of Laws, 2003
- Higher Regional Court of Karlsruhe, Second State Examination, 2001
Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, First State Examination, 1998
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Patent 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for patents: patent litigation/lawyers; “increasingly visible, does a good job”, “very good quality, pragmatic”, competitors
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Leading individual and recommended for intellectual property: patent litigation; “Markus Gampp is friendly and competent. Easily accessible and always sends promised information on time. Markus is a creative and very competent lawyer with whom we always enjoy working.”; “Markus Gampp is an excellent lawyer and litigator. He has almost 20 years of experience and has demonstrated his skill and strategic ability in many large, complex and often international proceedings. In all this, he is at the same time very pragmatic and keeps an eye on the economic goals.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for intellectual property law
- IAM Patent 1000 2021: “He 'provides consistent, creative and effective advice'; 'proactive' and 'very knowledgeable on substantive legal issues but also considers business realities'.”
- IAM Strategy 300 2021: Recognized as one of the 300 World’s Leading IP Strategists
- WIPR Leaders Patents 2021: Recognized as one of the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- Expert Guides Patents 2019: Recognized as one of the World’s Leading Patent Experts
- "34 DLA Piper lawyers in nine countries ranked among The World's Leading Patent Professionals," DLA Piper, October 30, 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)