Stavros Michalopoulos has vast experience in construction and engineering disputes and has considerable experience advising contractors, employers, developers and government institutions, with a particular focus on large scale projects in the infrastructure, energy and oil and gas sectors.
He is a member of the Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) and the Public International Law Group.
- Representing an international contractor concerning a construction project in Central Europe (EUR 300 mn) in an ICC arbitration.
- Representing an international contractor in a dispute regarding the construction of a stadium in Doha. In this context, he provided advice on a commercial arbitration, related court proceedings and related investor-state proceedings.
- Drafting legal documents and a memorandum in relation to a major natural gas dispute between an Italian contractor and a state-owned North-African company under the ICC rules. Advice addressed matters of contract interpretation and application, technical analysis and delay.*
- Representing a Middle-Eastern state in a multi-billion dollar inter-state oil and gas related arbitration. The matter was valued at USD17 billion and advice included conducting research and drafting memoranda on a number of legal and factual issues, and participating in the preparation of the hearing.*
- Representing an African State in a USD200 million contract-based investment arbitration (in French).*
- Advising on multi-million ICC construction arbitrations between a Greek and French company, seated in London and governed by English law. Advice included drafting memoranda and witness statements on issues of delay and product defects, participating in the hearing, preparing cross-examination and advising on the set-aside proceedings in England and its enforcement in France.*
- Drafting the constitutive documents of an international organisation in the UAE.*
- Representing the Hellenic Republic in two multi-billion bond-related investment arbitrations, valued at EUR7 billion, including the drafting of memorials, witness statements and expert reports.*
- Drafting the pleadings of numerous confidential claimants in a EUR1 billion debt restructuring investment arbitration.*
- Advising a Finnish mining investor on the merits of an arbitration arising from a mining dispute in Egypt.*
- Representing an African client in an oil and gas dispute governed by English law (conducted in French), including preparing for the hearing of the case and conducting legal research on matters of English law on quantum.*
- Leading a team on a project on the status of peace treaties between states and armed opposition groups, with particular reference on Yemen. The project was nominated for pro bono project of the year (The Paris Bar).
*Denotes experience from a previous firm
- Georgetown University Law Center, Master of Laws in International Legal Studies, 2014
- University of Cambridge, General Master of Laws, LLM, 2013
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Undergraduate Law Degree, 2012
- New Greek Law on International Commercial Arbitration, DLA Piper, 2023
- Enrichment Without Cause, Jus Mundi Wiki Notes, 2020
- Dual Nationality Revisited: A Modern Approach to Dual Nationals in Non-ICSID Arbitrations, Arbitration International, 2019
- Guest lecturer at Pepperdine University, 2023
- Developments in International Concession Agreements, Thessaloniki International Arbitration Conference, 2022
- The Question of Application of Lex Petrolea in Oil and Gas Law in the EU, IE University International Energy Disputes in the 21st Century, 2020
- Modern Trends in Investment Treaty Drafting, Thessaloniki International Arbitration Conference, 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Researcher at the Greek Institute for UN studies
- Member of the Young Arbitrators Forum
- Member of the Public International Law Group