Arjen de SnooHe/himLegal Director
Arjen de Snoo is a Public ESG lawyer, with over 15 years' experience advising national and international clients in the Real Estate, Industrials and Renewable Energy sectors on Administrative and Environmental Law.
Building on his experience in contentious and non-contentious matters, Arjen assists clients in obtaining permits, complying with tightening regulations and responding to increasing demands from authorities and stakeholdersa.
Arjen is particularly experienced in applying new, even experimental, legislation to get projects off the ground. His ability to create lasting results is reflected in the long relationships he builds with clients.
By heading the ESG practice and Climate & Biodiversity Crisis team in our Amsterdam office, he is leading our own journey as well as involved in many crucial matters for our clients. Arjen shares his knowledge as a Energy Transition lecturer at the Grotius Academy. As member of AmCham’s Sustainability & Innovation Committee, Arjen helps other companies on their own ESG-journey.
- Assisted BASF in the acquisition from Vattenfall of its share in the world’s largest offshore wind farm Hollandse Kust Zuid in 2021, as well as by selling a part of it to a third party. With this EUR 1.6 billion investment BASF secured a major part of its demand for renewable energy, as a key step in the transformation towards climate neutrality.
- Assists BASF in its participation with Vattenfall in the offshore wind farm tender Hollandse Kust West, combining the production of renewable energy with biodiversity measures.
- Litigating on behalf of X and the other main festival organisers on Covid-19 government regulations.
- Assists several clients in participating in innovative collaborations to blockades caused by the limited availability of grid capacity. This includes shared grid connections, closed distribution systems and energy cooperations.
- Defends one of the world's largest manufacturers of components for PV plants in a critical enforcement procedure that goes beyond the legal debate and raises questions of principle regarding access to the European market and the acceptance of new Hi-Tech products on the market.
- Assists a municipality in the decision-making and procedures for the realisation of a 100 ha business park and a residential area of over 1,500 houses.
- Universiteit Utrecht, Constitutional and Administrative Law, 2006
As an author of more than 25 published articles in the last four years, Arjen is a thought leader in his field. In relation to expropriation law, Arjen is the author of the 2017 pre-advice about the renewal of expropriation law in the Netherlands.
- "Preadvice on parts of the coming Environment & Planning Act", 12 December 2019
- Article comparing the Nitrogen-case and the Urgenda-case, 22 October 2019
Arjen frequently teaches courses and gives training sessions. He is a lecturer at the Dutch Institute of Construction Law (IBR), the Berghauser Pont Academy and the VU Amsterdam master International Business Law: Climate Change and Sustainability.
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Association of Administrative Law (Vereniging van Administratief Recht)
- The Dutch Construction Law Association (Vereniging voor Bouwrecht)
- The Dutch Construction Lawyers Association (Vereniging voor Bouwrecht-Advocaten)
- The Dutch Association for Environmental Law (Vereniging Milieurecht)
- The Dutch Association for Expropriation Law (Vereniging voor onteigeningsrecht)
- The Dutch Expropriation Lawyers Association (Vereniging van Onteigeningsadvocaten)
My latest insights
DLA Piper publishes insights on upcoming Environment & Planning Act
1 November 2023 .2 minute read
PowerField sees rapid growth for sustainable and innovative energy solutions by raising...
2 February 2023 .3 minute read