Pieter Paul TerpstraPartner
Pieter Paul Terpstra is a highly experienced M&A lawyer in the Netherlands with a particular focus on the (renewable) energy and technology sectors. With over 15 years of experience in the field, Pieter Paul has worked on a wide range of transactions, including minority and majority investments, acquisitions, and joint ventures, often with a cross-border dimension.
Pieter Paul co-heads the Energy & Natural Resources practice in the Netherlands. He also leads the ESG Initiative for the International Corporate team. Further, Pieter Paul is a member of the D&I committee of DLA Piper Amsterdam.
Pieter Paul has been seconded to the Paris corporate team of DLA Piper. In Paris, he worked extensively on (French law governed) transactions.
Pieter Paul has also been seconded to the in-house legal team of a multinational life insurance, pensions and asset management company.
- Advising PowerField in connection with the capital raise of EUR 500 million in structured equity and portfolio financing of both the PowerField Group as well as a number of solar, EV charging and storage assets.
- Advising SolarEnergyWorks and its founders on the controlled auction sale of its solar business to Ampyr Solar Europe
- Advising ID&T and its shareholders on the sale, through a controlled auction process, of ID&T to Superstruct Entertainment.
- Advising ID&T on several acquisitions in the Netherlands, including Art of Dance and Most Wanted DJ, and VD Events.
- Advising Dustin Group on the acquisitions of CentralPoint from Altor and Vincere Groep from its founders and ABN AMRO Participaties.
- Advising Adriaan van Erk Group and its shareholders on the sale of its real estate development business to KlokHolding.
- Advising ING Corporate Investments on the (minority) investments in Strohm and SLTN Inter Access.
- Advising Aegon Growth Capital on several of their (minority) stake investments and divestments, including in insurance technology service provider RISK Verzekeringen and financial services provider Romeo.
- Advising The Financial Times on their acquisition of a majority stake in The Next Web.
- Advising Bpost on several acquisitions in the Netherlands, including the logistical services provider Leen Menken and the e-commerce fulfilment service provider Active Ants.
- Grotius Academy, Corporate Law, 2012 (cum laude)
- University of Westminster, LL.M. International Law, 2007 (distinction)
- Utrecht University, International Law, 2006
Pieter Paul is consistently ranked in the Legal 500 legal directory, which recognizes him as a ‘Next Generation Partner’. As part of “one of the markets most active global M&A practices” team, Pieter Paul has been ranked in Legal 500 EMEA, for Commercial, Corporate and M&A and separately for Energy: Transactional. He is referred to as “a good person to work with, responsive and good at meeting timescales”. (He) “has a no-nonsense commercial approach, never letting one interest out of sight”. In Chambers Europe, he is referred to as "Very diligent, solid and technically good."
- In 2014 Pieter Paul was seconded to the Paris corporate team of DLA Piper for six months. In Paris, he worked extensively on (French law governed) M&A and private equity transactions.
- In 2016 Pieter Paul was seconded to the in-house legal team of a multinational life insurance, pensions and asset management company.
- Pieter Paul has been a guest lecturer at Radboud University Nijmegen and the Centre for Post academic Legal Education.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Board member of the Alliance Française Amsterdam