Guy E. FlynnRetired Partner
Co-Chair, Blockchain and Digital Assets Group
Location Head, Baltimore Real Estate Practice
Partner-in-Charge, Downtown Baltimore Office
Guy Flynn represents parties in all areas of commercial real estate investment, development, leasing, finance and technology, including the emerging areas of PropTech, digital assets and real estate tokenization.
His clients include institutional investors, pension funds, developers, PropTech firms, venture capitalists, lenders, borrowers, underwriters, and other public and private business entities in various commercial transactions, including joint venture, acquisition and development, leasing, commercial finance, purchase and sale, workout, foreclosure, syndication, real estate tokenization and PropTech transactions. Guy also counsels clients with respect to land use regulation, taxation, environmental, corporate, and bankruptcy issues.
The respected English research firm Chambers & Partners perennially lists Guy in Chambers USA, noting that he is "outstanding," "is widely respected in the market," "is commended for his expertise in commercial real estate development and finance," is "very knowledgeable about commercial real estate tax issues and structures" and "adept at handling large transactions." Chambers has also noted "his involvement in a series of high-profile and high-value transactions in Maryland."
In May 2019, Guy was inducted into the Maryland Chamber of Commerce Business Hall of Fame in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the state's business community that have helped advance the quality of life for Marylanders and the state's business climate, and for his professional achievements, community service and mentorship within Maryland's legal, civic and philanthropic communities. In July 2019, Guy was named to The Business Journals' "Influencers: Law" list, which spotlights 100 notable attorneys nationwide who are driving business for their employers, and for their clients, in cities across the country. In November 2020, Guy was named to the Baltimore Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Law 2020” list of attorneys and other legal practitioners “who have made their mark on Baltimore, and Maryland more broadly, in their careers.” In March 2013, the Daily Record named Guy to its 2013 Influential Marylanders list. The list recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions in their fields and are regarded as leaders in Maryland. In November 2013, Guy was awarded a 2013 Leadership in Law Award from the Daily Record in recognition of his outstanding professional achievements, community service and mentoring within Maryland's legal community. In November 2016, Guy was honored by the Israel-based Bnai Zion Foundation for his work as a legal and community leader in the greater Baltimore area.
Repeatedly since 2007, Guy has been named a Maryland Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Baltimore magazines. In June 2003, he was named a Legal Eagle and one of the Baltimore region's top lawyers by the Baltimore Business Journal. In June 2001, Guy was named one of Baltimore's "40 Most Successful Young Professionals" by Baltimore magazine. Based on peer reviews, Guy is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the category of real estate.
Guy is past chairman of the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA) Real Property Section Discussion Group, a monthly gathering of leading real estate lawyers in the state for discussion of topical matters. From 2001 until 2011, Guy served on MSBA's Real Property Section Council, which is the governing arm of MSBA's Real Property Section. Currently, Mr. Flynn serves on MSBA's Real Property Section Legislative Liaison Committee, which tracks and provides comment to legislation affecting real property interests in Maryland.
Guy serves in numerous leadership roles within Maryland's civic, philanthropic and arts communities, including his current service as president of the Board of Trustees of the Walters Art Museum; vice-president of the Board of Trustees of the Baltimore Community Foundation; vice-president of the Board of Governors of The Center Club (Baltimore's premiere business club); member of the Board of Trustees of the Living Classrooms Foundation; member of the Boards of Directors of Maryland Legal Aid and The Center for Urban Families (emeritus member); and Commissioner of the Maryland Access to Justice Commission.
In June 2020, Guy was appointed by the Maryland Attorney General to the newly formed Maryland Attorney General’s COVID-19 Access to Justice Task Force, where he was also named Co-Chair of the Task Force’s Pro Bono Committee. From June 2010 until January 2020, Guy served as a member of the five-person Baltimore City Board of Ethics, where he served after being appointed by Baltimore's mayor in 2010.
In October 2020, Guy and his wife, Nupur Parekh Flynn, were named the 2020 “Philanthropists of the Year” in the State of Maryland by The United Way of Central Maryland in recognition of their personal giving and philanthropic leadership throughout Maryland during 2020. Also in October, 2020, Guy and Nupur were honored by The Children’s Guild Alliance with its “Sadie Award” for their roles as leaders in innovation and philanthropy and for their lifelong work on behalf of children in the greater Baltimore and Washington, DC regions.
- Representation of one of the nation’s largest real estate investment advisors in connection with joint ventures and acquisitions in the eastern United States involving total investments of over US$1.5 billion since 2018
- Representation of a California-based private equity real estate investment fund in connection with joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions totaling over US$1 billion, including its development and financing of a US$290 million hotel, office, retail, and condominium project in Arlington, Virginia; its US$435 million sale of a northern Virginia office project; its acquisition and financing of a 396,000 square foot trophy office property in Washington, DC; and its joint venture and refinancing of a landmark mixed-use project in Washington, DC
- Representation of a US PropTech firm in connection with a first-of-its-kind Blockchain-based real estate tokenization platform and related real estate, corporate, securities, commodities, privacy, data protection and regulatory advice
- Representation of a DC-based technology company in connection with the negotiation and documentation of its new 58,000 square foot downtown Washington, DC headquarters office lease and related vertical construction and service contracts
- Representation of a leading global data intelligence company specializing in public opinion research in connection with the negotiation and documentation of its new 50,000 square foot downtown Washington, DC headquarters office lease and related vertical construction and service contracts
- Representation of one of the nation’s leading real estate investment managers in connection with joint ventures and acquisitions involving total investments of over US$300 million, including mixed-use projects in Chicago, Illinois, San Antonio, Texas and Baltimore, Maryland
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with its acquisition of a US$200 million trophy office building in downtown Baltimore, Maryland and its acquisition of a US$46 million office building in Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Representation of a leading Wall Street investment bank as its Maryland counsel in connection with its equity investment in the $1.8 billion Harbor Point project along Baltimore’s eastern waterfront
- Representation of the master developer in connection with the 80-acre East Baltimore Biotech Park redevelopment project in Baltimore, Maryland
- Representation of a Finnish paper products manufacturer in connection with lease negotiations with the Maryland Port Authority regarding the manufacturer’s proposed relocation and consolidation of its North American shipping operations to the Port of Baltimore
- Representation of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, as ground lessor, in connection with a ground lease to the Maryland Soccer Foundation, Inc., as ground tenant, for the development and financing of the 162-acre "SoccerPlex" facility in Montgomery County, Maryland
- Representation of the construction lender in connection with the private sector financing for the US$34 million, 185-unit mixed income, mixed use "Heritage Crossing" residential redevelopment project in Baltimore, Maryland
- Representation of the primary investor in connection with the syndication, development, operation, and sale of a waterpark and amusement facility in Fairfax County, Virginia
- Representation of a public REIT in connection with its land acquisition, financing, subdivision, outconveyancing, and development of a major retail center in Ventura County, California, and its disposition of a retail center in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Representation of a Fortune 500 sports and entertainment company in connection with development of sports-themed dining and entertainment facilities in Baltimore's Inner Harbor and in downtown Washington, DC
- J.D., University of Virginia 1993
- B.A., University of Virginia 1990
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, Maryland Real Estate (2015-2022)
- Band 3, Maryland Real Estate (2012-2014)
- Recognized repeatedly by Maryland Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America
- Co-author, "Why we need Proptech – now more than ever," Baltimore Business Journal, June 7 – 13, 2019
- Moderator, Bisnow’s Third Annual “Future of Downtown Baltimore” Conference, September 17, 2014
- Presenter, Myles Title Advisory Council Seminar, “Non-Recourse Carve-Outs Revisited: Recent Developments and Practical Considerations”, June 26, 2014
- Presenter, client conference, “Maryland IDOTs: Where Are We Now?”, February 24, 2013
- Presenter and panelist, MICPEL Advanced Real Property Institute, “Financing Issues – Discussion of Selected Issues in a Multi-State, Multi-Property, Multi-Million Dollar Financing from the Perspective of the Lender, the Borrower, Some Tenants and the Title Company”, Spring, 2001
- "In the C-Suite: When he's not spinning vinyl, Guy Flynn is making real estate deals happen," Baltimore Business Journal, May 20, 2019
- "Five questions with... Guy E. Flynn," The Baltimore Sun, November 18, 2012
Civic and Charitable
- President, Board of Trustees, The Walters Art Museum
- Member, Maryland Attorney General’s COVID-19 Access to Justice Task Force
- Co-Chair, Maryland Attorney General’s COVID-19 Access to Justice Task Force Pro Bono Committee
- Commissioner, Maryland Access to Justice Commission
- Vice-President, Board of Trustees, Baltimore Community Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Living Classrooms Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Maryland Legal Aid
- Vice-President, Board of Governors, The Center Club
- Member, Baltimore City Board of Ethics (2010-2020)
- Member, Greater Baltimore Committee Leadership Program, Class of 2005
- Member, Greater Baltimore Committee Public Safety and Legal Affairs Committee (2006-2008)
- Member, Board of Directors, Family & Children's Services of Central Maryland, Inc. (1996-2016)
- Member, Board of Directors, Center for Urban Families (Emeritus Director)
- Member, National Advisory Committee, The Ron Brown Scholar Program (2007-2018)
- Consumer Member, State of Maryland Board of Barbers (1996-2018)
- Member, Board of Directors, Health Care for the Homeless, Inc. (2006-2014)
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. Elizabeth School (2005-2011)
- Member, University of California (Santa Cruz) Arts Division, Dean's Advisory Council (2011-2014)
- Editorial Board Member, The Daily Record (2003-2005)
- Member, The Aspen Institute 25th Anniversary Justice and Society Seminar (2004)
- Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation
My latest insights
Future-proofing real estate businesses with ESG metrics and blockchain technology
31 October 2022 .7 minute read
DLA Piper represents private equity firm in Controlled Environment Agriculture investment
12 May 2022 .2 minute read