Arthur CohnOf Counsel
Arthur ("Art") Cohn is a corporate attorney who advises life sciences, biotech, medical device, healthcare and technology companies, universities and non-profit foundations in connection with technology transactions. He leverages over 30 years of transactional experience, including over 25 years of in-house experience at global pharmaceutical companies, to represent clients in a broad range of commercial and corporate activities, including early-, mid- and late-stage licensing and development agreements, global collaboration, commercialization and promotional agreements, product acquisitions and divestitures, merger and acquisitions, other strategic transactions and private company financings.
Art's clients range from universities and non-profit foundations to emerging growth companies to Fortune 500 companies throughout the world, specifically in the life sciences and technology sectors.
In addition, Art advises clients on day-to-day commercial matters and commercial agreements, such as consulting agreements, material transfer agreements, research and development agreements, clinical trial agreements, joint development agreements, licenses, manufacturing and distribution agreements, promotional agreements, joint ventures and corporate partnering arrangements. He has a depth of experience in commercial contracts and management of large commercial contract portfolios for global clients.
- Represented, as co-counsel, Pfizer and on-going representation with respect to Pfizer's agreements with BioNTech for the co-development, manufacture and supply and commercialization of the first mRNA based vaccine to be approved for the prevention of COVID-19
- Represented Pfizer in connection with its agreement with the Medicines Patent Pool Foundation to non-exclusively license Pfizer's COVID-19 oral antiviral protease inhibitor product for MPP, via the grant of sublicenses, to expand access in certain low- and middle-income countries
- Represented, as co-counsel, Pfizer in connection with its agreement with BioNTech for a collaboration for the research, development and commercialization of a potential first mRNA-based vaccine for the prevention of shingles (herpes zoster virus).
- Represented Pfizer in connection with its development and option agreement and license agreements with Acutias Therapeutics relating to Acutias' lipid nanoparticle delivery system for use in mRNA vaccines and therapeutics
- Represented Vertex Pharmaceuticals in connection with its strategic collaboration with Lonza for the establishment of a dedicated facility operated by Lonza for the manufacture and supply to Vertex of Vertex's potentially transformative cell therapies for type-1 diabetes
- Represented a clinical development service provider in connection with commercial and vendor agreements to support product clinical trials
- Represented GenrAb, Inc. in restructuring of its license with University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center for anti-neuronal antibodies for treatment of patients with neurologic diseases
- Represented Axsome Therapeutics in its outlicense of Sunosi® to Pharamanovia in Europe
- Represented Pfizer in connection with its divestiture of an antifungal product to Basilea Pharmaceutica
- Represented TaiwanBio Therapeutics in connection with a strategic alliance with TRACT Therapeteutics to advance a novel therapeutic approach for preventing rejection in solid organ transplantation
- Ongoing representation of a start up biotechnology company in connection with negotiations of a key in-license agreement and other commercial agreements
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law 1991
Order of the Coif
Graduated with Honors
- B.A., Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County 1985
Graduated with General Honors
Outstanding Leadership Award
- Vice President and Assistant General Counsel at Pfizer focusing on Pfizer's complex licensing, collaboration and business development transactions and alliances and leading legal team supporting global procurement and operations
- Vice President and Assistant General Counsel and Chief Counsel for Wyeth's Global Business Development group
- Senior Counsel at a major U.S.-based manufacturer of pharmaceuticals focusing on complex licensing, collaboration and business development transactions
- Senior Licensing Specialist at the National Institutes of Health Office of Technology Transfer