International Co-Head, Global Class Actions
Jeremy Sher is an international disputes lawyer. His experience spans litigation, arbitration and regulatory and compliance issues. His work frequently has a cross-border element or reputational implications. He is International Co-Head of our Global Class Actions Group.
Jeremy's practice covers clients in emerging and mature markets including global companies, sovereign governments, state owned enterprises, financial institutions, manufacturers, life sciences businesses, private equity, and high net worth individuals.
Jeremy has extensive experience coordinating global class action defence strategies across Europe, North America and Australia. He has defended class actions relating to consumer protection, securities, corporate governance, product liability, climate change, environmental protection, data protection and cyber-security, employment status and competition follow-on damages.
Jeremy's broad sector expertise extends to technology, life sciences, financial services, consumer goods, industrials and energy. His other experience includes corporate and financial disputes, asset management litigation, contentious M&A and civil fraud.
- Advising a technology company concerning class action risks relating to alleged online harm.
- Advising an infrastructure company to defend class actions relating to competition matters.
- Advising a global manufacturer to defending a class action concerning marketing statements concerning a product's environmental credentials.
- Advising a technology company concerning mass claims relating to employment status.
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company to defend class actions relating to competition matters.
- Working closely with US colleagues, assisting a medical devices manufacturer to defend potential class actions in North America, Europe and Australia.
- Advising a medical products manufacturer concerning a dispute with a supplier. This matter involved conducting a mediation, re-establishing a stable supply chain and advising on potential class action risk.
- Advising investor groups regarding contentious issues in the USD14 billion liquidation of Abraaj Private Equity. This landmark matter included corporate criminal and regulatory advice, conducting multiple parallel litigation and arbitration proceedings and providing contentious advice to assist corporate transactions.
- Advising investors in a major African energy company in a USD750 million joint venture dispute. These proceedings included an LCIA arbitration and obtaining an injunction in the BVI in support of the arbitral proceedings.
- Advising a Government in Asia in relation to the termination of a USD5 billion oil field joint venture, including consideration of force majeure events based on terrorist activity.
- Representing private equity firms in litigation and arbitration, including contentious M&A, intra-fund disputes, breach of investment parameters, breach of fiduciary duties, shareholder disputes and fraud.
- Advising a steel fabrication company in a EUR150 million dispute under ICC arbitration rules with a manufacturer relating to product quality defects. This work involved the use of the ICC’s Pre-Arbitral Referee Procedure and the successful completion of a two week trial.
- Advising a leading bank in relation to a USD100 million shareholders’ dispute. This matter involves an LCIA arbitration and complex regulatory issues in England, Europe and the Middle East.
- Advising a global entertainment company concerning a EUR55 million fraud claim. This matter involved understanding complex financial reporting issues, High Court litigation and regulatory issues in Europe and Asia.
- London School of Economics, MSc
- The University of Western Australia, BA (Hons), LLB (Dist)
- College of Law (New South Wales), Grad Dip Leg Prac
- “…Jeremy will always go the extra mile.” Commercial Litigation: Premium, Legal 500, 2021
- “Jeremy Sher is one of the great strategic thinkers I have encountered in litigation: he never approaches litigation without a carefully thought out plan for how to win and what to do to get there. One of the best letter writers in the business as well; his drafting for centre-piece disputes correspondence like letters before action and responses to letters before action is both a joy to read and highly effective at getting results.” Financial Services: Contentious, Legal 500, 2021
- “Jeremy Sher is exceptionally intelligent, experienced and well-versed in combative litigation. He is a clever tactician and seems to get on well with all members of his team and manage clients with aplomb”.
Financial Services: Contentious, Legal 500, 2020
- “Jeremy Sher counts class actions and M&A-related disputes among his areas of expertise”.
Commercial Litigation: Premium, Legal 500, 2020
- “The team at DLA Piper comprising Jamie Curle, Jeremy Sher and James Carter is exceptional. What makes them exceptional is the lengths to which they will go to bring their clients with them at every stage of the litigation process....”.
Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, Legal 500, 2020
- “[…] Jeremy Sher, […] is strong for class actions…”.
Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail, Legal 500, 2020
- “[…] Jeremy Sher stands out for his consistent involvement in high value, cross-border fraud disputes”.
Civil Fraud, Legal 500, 2020
- “Highly regarded”.
Commercial Litigation, Legal 500, 2019
- Energy and Natural Resources English Case Law Update – July to December 2022, Issue 9, 19 April 2023
- Energy and Natural Resources English Case Law Update – Questions answered in this edition, Issue 9, 19 April 2023
- Is the door re-opening for US-style class actions in England and Wales?, 16 March 2023
- Update: Reputation management during investigations: ZXC v Bloomberg LP, 22 March 2022
- Get ready for collective actions in Europe, 06 December 2021
- Disputes on life sciences projects and how to avoid or manage them, 16 October 2023
- Insuring the future of our planet: climate & biodiversity, 10 October 2023
- Race Around European Class Actions - Part 2: Update on Recent Developments, 18 September 2023
- Emerging litigation risks for the life sciences industry in Europe, 22 June 2023
- Race Around European Class Actions: Update on Recent Developments, 16 May 2023
Jeremy is an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Western Australia.
My latest insights
Disputes on life sciences projects and how to avoid or manage them
16 October 2023 .2 minute read
Race Around European Class Actions - Part 2: Update on Recent Developments
18 September 2023 .7 minute read