Rhys Davies has over 15 years’ experience advising in relation to a range of environmental, social and governance matters, including advising private equity, public companies and project sponsors in relation to the design and implementation of sustainability and ESG strategies across a range of sectors, including energy and natural resources, infrastructure, real estate and technology.
Rhys’ experience includes advising in relation to frameworks regarding sustainable finance disclosures (including the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation), sustainability reporting, climate change, biodiversity loss, human rights and responsible business practices. Rhys has assisted clients to develop and review ESG-related governance measures, policies, strategies, metrics and disclosures in a number of jurisdictions under both mandatory and voluntary frameworks.
Rhys also has broad environmental and social regulatory experience, including environmental impact assessment, planning, compulsory acquisition, emissions licencing, contaminated land, mining and natural resources, water, Indigenous engagement and cultural heritage law. Rhys represents clients in both transactional settings and proceedings before administrative decision-makers, panels, tribunals and superior courts.
Rhys is admitted to practice in Australia and the United States of America. Rhys holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Sustainable Business from the University of Cambridge and a FSA Credential issued by the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board. Rhys is a member of the Governance and Advisory Board for the Australian National Contact Point under the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises.
- Advising a leading investment management firm exclusively focused on alternative real assets in relation to implementation of the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation, including in relation to ESG strategies, pre-contractual disclosures, due diligence and asset management processes.
- Advising a forestry and carbon credit fund in relation to implementation of the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation, including in relation to pre-contractual disclosures, due diligence and asset management procedures.
- Advising a major European insurer and asset management provider in relation to disclosures in accordance with the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation.
- Advising in relation to ESG due diligence for an A$16b merger to create a top-10 global gold producer.
- Advising OZ Minerals Limited in relation to its agreement with the Ngaanyatjarra People for the development of the A$1.7b West Musgrave Copper-Nickel Mine in Western Australia, including in relation to compliance with the requirements of free, prior and informed consent.
- Advising various project sponsors in relation to the implementation of the Equator Principles, the IFC Performance Standards and the World Bank EHS Guidelines.
- Advising a government in Central Asia in relation to energy and natural resources law reform.
- Advising various energy and natural resources sector participants in relation to their engagement with Indigenous peoples.
- University of Western Australia, Bachelor of Laws, 2006
- University of Western Australia, Bachelor of Arts (Hons), 2006
- University of Cambridge, Postgraduate Certificate in Sustainable Business, 2022
- Australia introduces offshore renewable energy regulatory regime, 8 September 2021
- Credibly incorporating the UN Sustainable Development Goals into bond issues, 9 April 2021
- Lessons in climate risk reporting on the path to mandatory disclosure: A marathon, not a sprint, 11 December 2020
- Africa Down Under Conference 2020, 4 November 2020
- Three ESG steps to keep your project bankable in 2021, 17 September 2020
- ESG in 2020: What African resources-developers should do to prepare, 11 August 2020
- Changes to Equator Principles introduce new requirements in relation to human rights, climate change and Indigenous Peoples for project debt, 22 November 2019
- Proposed changes to Equator Principles enhance ESG requirements for project debt, 25 October 2019
- Attorney at the Alabama State Bar
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board FSA Credential Holder
Memberships And Affiliations
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Member, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (MAusIMM)
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, National Environmental Law Association
- Member, Energy and Resources Law Association Limited
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
My latest insights
The Financial Conduct Authority consults on the UK Sustainability Disclosure Requirements
2 November 2022 .8 minute read
DLA Piper advises Solar United Network on acquisition of largest operating solar farm in...
19 October 2022 .2 minute read