Gualtiero Luca DragottiPartner
Gualtiero Dragotti has over 25 years of experience of handling IP matters, with a focus on patents and the protection of innovation, particularly in the mechanical, chemical, fashion and sports equipment industries.
Gualtiero advises leading Italian and international clients on various non contentious and contentious IP cases, including some of the key patent litigation issues in Italy.
Gualtiero is admitted to the Supreme Court in Italy.He served as a Juridical Expert for the Anti-Counterfeiting National Council, appointed by the Ministry of the Economic Development.
Gualtiero has been teaching IP at the faculty of Chemistry - University of Milan as appointed Professor for over 10 years.
He was appointed as a member of the Research Project on Biotechnology under the patronage of the University of Modena and Luiss – Guido Carli International University, with the sponsorship of MIUR.
Gualtiero is a member of the Standing Committee on the Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court of AIPPI - International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property.
He regularly speaks at seminars and conferences organized by universities and IP concerned groups.
- Successfully assisted a manufacturer and distributor of sports equipment in enforcing its right on a patented product against some of its main competitors in Italy, US and Sweden.
- Successfully assisted one of the largest motorcycle apparel manufacturer in a multinational patent dispute concerning the future of motorcycle riders and pilot protection.
- Assisted the owner of one of the most famous soccer club in the Italian serie A in the sale of its controlling interest to another group, managing all IP aspects related to the transaction, including brand and media rights issue.
- Successfully assisted a client in a litigation, up to the Supreme Court, that contributed to set the notion of infringement by equivalents in Italy.
- Obtained the highest damage award, at the time of the decision, in a patent infringement proceedings .
- Is assisting one of the major European publisher in their most relevant trademark and copyright matters.
- Is managing the IP contentious matters of a major Italian food & beverage company.
Law degree, University of Milan
Gualtiero contributes on regular basis to main IP Italian reviews and is among the authors of "International Intellectual Property Litigation" (Thomson Sweet & Maxwell).
Gualtiero is a speaker in several conferences and seminars organized by universities and IP concerned groups.
Gualtiero has been teaching patent law as appointed professor for more than 10 years at the Milan State University, faculty of Chemistry; he has been also teaching at Milan Politecnico in the European Patent Litigator post-graduation course.
Gualtiero was appointed as a member of the Research Project on Biotechnology under the patronage of the University of Modena and Luiss – Guido Carli International University, with the sponsorship of MIUR.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Past President of AIPPI Group - Italy
- Vice-president of Anti-Counterfeiting Study Center
My latest insights
Generative AI and prompt protection under intellectual property law
15 February 2023 .5 minute read