Robert Tang is an international disputes lawyer, with over 14 years’ experience advising multinationals on high-profile disputes in Thailand and internationally. His principal areas of practice are insurance and reinsurance disputes and corporate/commercial litigation and arbitration.
Robert is an English qualified lawyer and has been based in Thailand and Southeast Asia. With this experience, he navigates multi-national and local companies through the maze of cultural, legal and regulatory complexities ever present in cross-border disputes and transactions.
Robert provides clients with advice on complex insurance and reinsurance claims and represents international companies in Southeast Asian disputes. He has acted on some of the region’s most high-profile claims, including one of the largest Covid-19 claims in Thailand and the liability claims arising from the collapse of a saddle dam at the Xe Pian-Xe Namnoy Power Project in Laos.
Robert’s insurance practice focuses on all lines of business, in particular All Risks, Director's & Officer's, Financial Institutions Professional Indemnity, Crime / Banker's Blanket Bond, Product Liability and Recall, Cyber, Commercial General Liability and reinsurance treaty disputes.
His arbitration practice particularly focuses on multi-party and cross-border disputes. He advises clients in ad-hoc arbitrations as well as under the auspices of the ICC, SIAC, LCIA, TAI, THAC, Thai Office of Insurance Commission, among others. He is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation and early neutral evaluation procedures.
Robert sits as an arbitrator and is a serving Commission Member of the ICC Thailand Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
- Representing global insurers and reinsurers on USD multi-million subrogation claims arising from multiple explosions and fires at a Thai chemical factory that caused widespread property damage and business interruption losses.
- Representing global reinsurers on USD multi-million property and liability claims arising out of the collapse of a saddle dam at the XePian Xe Namnoy dam in Laos.
- Advising global insurers on coverage liability under a combined D&O and FIPI policy in relation to over 60 claims notified by a well-known bank in Thailand.
- Advising and acting as co-counsel in an ad-hoc arbitration for a Korean life insurer in a USD multi-million dispute arising from a Thai reinsurance program.
- Acting as counsel for a global energy firm in an LCIA arbitration against a leading freight forwarder on a dispute arising from customs clearance services conducted in Thailand.
- Representing a global automotive manufacturer in the restructuring of its local dealer network, including regulatory compliance issues.
- Advising and representing a leading e-gaming and online financial services giant in its dispute arising from a local consortium agreement with a large Thai state enterprise.
- Acting as counsel for an US oil & gas company in an ICC arbitration against a leading Thai state enterprise arising from a gas price dispute.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Cornell University, School of Law, China Law Institute, Diploma in Chinese Law
- College of Law, PgDip in Legal Practice
- Southampton Solent University, Law, LL.B, Hons
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Transnational Business Practices, LL.M
- Ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Thailand for Insurance practice, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 – 2023
- Ranked as a leading individual in Thailand for Insurance practice, Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 - 2023
- Ranked as a Up and Coming lawyer in Thailand for Insurance practice, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2020 - 2021
- Ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Thailand for Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2019 – 2023
- Updates on giving gifts to officials in Thailand, Thailand Focus, DLA Piper, 8 July 2019
- Latest updates on Thailand's Personal Data Protection and Cyber-security Act, Thailand Focus, DLA Piper, 6 June 2019
- Thailand Passes Amendment No. 7 to the Labour Protection Act, DLA Piper Employment Update, 17 Apr 2019
- Speaker - “A Legal Perspective on the Liabilities of the CFO Today: Insuring and Protecting the CFO,” Asia Insurance Review: 14th Asian Insurance CFO Summit (Virtual), May 2021
- Speaker - “Issues arising from COVID-19 related insurance claims in Thailand”, DLA Piper Insurance Webinar (Virtual), May 2020
- Moderator - “Comparative Perspectives on International Arbitration in Thailand and Singapore,” SIAC Bangkok Conference, October 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England & Wales