David helps borrowers and lenders with complex multi-jurisdictional transactions across the credit spectrum and a wide range of asset classes. His practice covers real estate finance, acquisition finance and corporate treasury matters.
David has over 30 years' experience in the international debt markets across Europe. In recent years, he has worked on many restructurings in real estate and leveraged finance.
As International Group Head of Finance, Projects and Restructuring, David leads a team of over 700 lawyers across our international offices. The group is one of the driving forces of the firm's global practice, providing market-leading insight and advice, and representing leading investment and commercial financial institutions, public and private companies and government entities.
David was previously a banking partner at a ‘magic circle’ law firm in London, including acting as its Global Head of Finance.
- Led on the very first UK operating company/secured corporate bond securitisations including the Welcome Break and Punch Taverns transactions
- Advised Debenhams plc for over 15 years on all aspects of its debt financing and then on its eventual financial restructuring attempts
- Advised the administrators of Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander following the GFC and the difficulties encountered by the Icelandic banks
- Advised Blackstone and TPG on the acquisition of Kensington Mortgages plc
- Advised TPG on the refinancing and disposal of the P3 logistics business to GIC
- Working on numerous transactions for various real estate funds including Blackstone, Apollo, Cerberus, Davidson Kempner
- Advised the RCF lenders on the financial restructuring of Virgin Atlantic involving the first use in the UK of a Restructuring Plan
- Advised the term loan lenders on the GBP1.4 billion financial restructuring of the Intu SGS Group of companies following the administration of Intu plc
- Advised the lenders on the EUR4.5 billion financial restructuring of Accor SA
- Durham University, Law, BA, 1982
Awards and recognition
- Ranked lawyer, Real Estate Finance, London, Chambers UK 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Trustee and National Advisory Board Member, Career Academies UK
My latest insights
DLA Piper continues to expand Asia Banking & Finance practice with strategic partner hire...
5 December 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper continues to enhance Asia banking & finance expertise with strategic partner...
2 May 2022 .2 minute read