Frank Valentin leads the Intellectual Property practice in France.
He also has significant experience in anti-counterfeiting campaigns for IT and software companies, along with experience in IT and life sciences patent litigation.Specialized in complex litigation (trademark, patent, copyright), the search for innovative legal strategies has become the key focus of his team. He advises mainly in the TMT sector (technology, media and telecommunications), in particular with US industry leaders, as well as in the Life Sciences sector, where he assists major players in the pharmaceutical industry in their patent litigation.
Working closely with top management, Frank assists companies in their protection and development strategies for their intangible assets, especially in the implementation of contracting policies (technology transfer - licensing - in particular) and the development of in anti-counterfeiting campaigns in cooperation with the customs services.
With his team he has designed and developed for his clients a comprehensive and global offer for the management of trademark, design and copyright, and domain names. This expertise is conducted at an early stage in the operating process and extends to any administrative proceedings before the French, European or WIPO offices, or judicial proceedings.
- University Paris XI (Sceaux), Master's Degree (Master 2) in Intellectual Property and New Technologies Law, 1994 – 1995
- University Paris XI (Sceaux), Master’s Degree in Business and contracts Law, 1989 – 1994
Frank is regularly ranked by Best Lawyers, Chambers, Legal 500, IP Stars, IamTrademark, Who's Who Legal, World Trademark Review, IAM Patent 1000, Media Law International.
- Chambers Europe - Band 4 - Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright – 2023
- Best Lawyers – Advertising Law; Information Technology Law; Intellectual Property Law; Media Law; Technology Law – 2010-24
- Legal 500 – Tier 1 – Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Design – 2022
- Legal 500 – Tier 3 – Intellectual Property: Copyright - 2023
- Legal 500 – Tier 4 – Intellectual Property: Patents – 2023
Regular publications on intellectual property, media and information technology issues, including recently:
- “Future revolutions in the financing of French cinema, Jean-Jacques Manceau, Journalist“, Forbes France, November 2020
- “The film industry since the post-lockdown era: flashbacks and prospects”, Dalloz Actualités, October 2020
- “Coronavirus and cinema: murky scenario“, Dalloz, May 2020
- “The media chronology, collateral victim of the coronavirus?”, L'Opinion, April 2020
- “The media chronology”, CBNews, April 2020
- “Chronology of the media: Crossed views France and the United States in the aftermath of the adoption of the emergency law”, Le Monde du Droit, April 2020
- “Progress and dangers of the digitalisation of justice for its actors”, L’Agefi Hebdo, February 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle) IT & Internet Standing Committee
- APEB (Association des Praticiens Européens des Brevets)
- APRAM (Association des Praticiens Marques Modèles)
- INTA (International Trademark Association) - Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee
- MARQUES (Association of European Trademark Owners)
- IBA (International Bar Association)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises DoubleVerify on acquisition of French startup Scibids technology
26 September 2023 .4 minute read
The UPC´s long-arm jurisdiction: Uncharted Waters or Business as Usual?
13 December 2022 .4 minute read