Stewart Wang is a Partner in the Corporate team, based in DLA Piper's Shanghai office. Stewart has over 15 years’ experience in cross-border mergers & acquisitions, PE/VC, strategic joint ventures, restructuring, debt financings, and general corporate practice.
Stewart is dual-qualified in China and the US (New York), so he has mastered both local and international rules and practices, so as to add real value to his clients’ business operations around the globe. Stewart represents multinationals and China-based clients across a wide range of industries including TMT, semiconductor, blockchain, manufacturing, life science, pharmaceutical, medical device, aerospace, and financial technology.
- Advised BorgWarner in its acquisition of Tianjin Santroll’s light vehicle e-motor business.
- Advised Wise Road Capital in (i) its acquisition of the China testing and assembly business of ASE Group, (ii) its acquisition of Huba Control from Siemens, (iii) its acquisition of semi-conductor R&D business from ams AG and joint venture with ams, and (iv) its acquisition of UTAC, a semi-conductor assembly services group headquartered in Singapore.
- Advised Ele.me (饿了么), one of China’s largest online food ordering and delivery platforms, in (i) its merger with Baidu Waimai (百度外卖), (ii) its multiple billion financing from Alibaba and (iii) its trade sale to Alibaba.
- Advised a consortium comprising China’s Qumei Home Furnishing Group and Huatai Zijin Investment on the acquisition of Ekornes, the largest furniture manufacturer in the Nordic region.
- Advised China Eastern Airlines in (i) its strategic investment in, and business alliance with, Air France KLM, and (ii) its strategic equity and business alliance with Delta Air Lines.
- Advised Sanpower Group in its USD820 million acquisition of Dendreon from an affiliate of NYSE-listed Valeant.
- Advised Honeywell, a Fortune 100 U.S. company, in its multiple joint ventures with Chinese partners in aerospace sector.
- Advised ASSA ABLOY, a Swedish security product company, in its acquisition of a number of well-known Chinese security door companies and converting the same into joint ventures.
- Advised a US hedge fund in (i) its acquisition of non-performing loan assets from Chinese banks (via AMCs), (ii) its investment in Mobike, (iii) its investment in Didi, and (iv) its investment in a Chinese micro credit company.
- Advised a UK private equity fund in its acquisition of (i) an overseas studying service company in Guangdong, (ii) a medical device company in Nanjing, and (iii) a biochemical company in Beijing, as well as exit transaction from these investments.
- Advised multiple Chinese start-ups in their various rounds of debt and equity financing.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- New York University, School of Law, LL.M., 2009
- University of Sheffield, LL.M: with Distinction, 2004
- East China University of Politics and Law, LL.B., 2003
- The Legal 500 - “Next Generation Partner” (2020)
- Asian Legal Business - “M&A Deal of the Year” (the sale of Ele.me (饿了么), one of China’s largest online food ordering and delivery platforms, to Alibaba) (2019)
- China Business Law Journal – “A-List of Top 100 Lawyers For China Practice” (2016)
- INSOL International - Developments in Asian Restructuring and Insolvency Regimes (October 2018)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises BASF on global carve-out of mobile emissions catalysts and precious...
18 September 2023 .5 minute read
DLA Piper Represented XTC Europe on its joint venture projects with French SOE Orano
18 May 2023 .3 minute read