Co-Country Managing Partner, China
Roy Chan has almost 30 years’ experience of helping clients in various industries with corporate, commercial and regulatory matters. He was responsible for the opening of the firm’s Shanghai office in October 2002.
Roy represents multinational clients with investment projects and business operations in China and assists major Chinese enterprises with expansion through joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and with other corporate matters domestically and globally.
In 2019, Roy advised Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels, a leading hotel group in China, on its strategic acquisition of Plateno Group from a group of leading private equity funds for approximately USD1.3 billion, giving it an 81% stake in the company. This acquisition resulted in Jin Jiang operating over 6,000 hotels in 55 countries and becoming the fifth largest hotel group globally.
Roy has also recently advised Hubei Huachangda Intelligence Equipment Co. Ltd., a Chinese public company, on its acquisition of Canadian business Valiant TMS, with assets and operations in 13 jurisdictions. Valiant TMS is a global provider of automated production systems and specialized tooling serving the automotive, aerospace and heavy industry sectors.
Roy is named an arbitrator of the Chinese European Arbitration Centre and the Shanghai International Arbitration Centre. He is also listed on the Panel of Mediators under the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone Arbitration Rules by Shanghai International Arbitration Centre.
Roy’s experience includes advising:
- Air China Ltd. on its participation in the recapitalization plan for Hong Kong based airline Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. to the amount of HKD39 billion. The plan was led by major shareholders Swire and Air China, with participation from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Government. It seeks to assist Cathay Pacific during the crisis resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic and help it to prepare for future growth.
- Hubei Huachangda Intelligence Equipment Co. Ltd. on its acquisition of Canadian business Valiant TMS, with assets and operations in 13 jurisdictions. Valiant TMS is a global provider of automated production systems and specialized tooling serving the automotive, aerospace and heavy industry sectors.
- Wanfeng Auto Holding Group, a China-based conglomerate focused on engineering and manufacturing, on its acquisition of Diamond Aircraft Industries, a leading Austrian aircraft manufacturer, for EUR320 million. Upon completion of the transaction, Diamond Aircraft became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Wanfeng Group.
- Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels, a leading hotel group in China, on its strategic acquisition of Plateno Group from a group of leading private equity funds for approximately USD1.3 billion, giving it an 81% stake in the company. This acquisition resulted in Jin Jiang operating over 6,000 hotels in 55 countries and becoming the fifth largest hotel group globally.
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Co., Ltd. (CIMC) on its acquisition of 29.9% of the total equity of Yantai Raffles Shipyard Ltd. from its main stakeholder, through offshore investments and holding companies. This transaction required special knowledge of cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
- Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd. on its Chinese joint venture with Tokyo Stock Exchange-listed company, Tsumura & Co. Tsumura is a Japan-based company and the leading manufacturer of Chinese herbal extracts and traditional Chinese medicine.
- Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd. on its USD3.2 billion acquisition of Shenzhen Development Bank Co., Ltd. Our role included advising the client on the transaction structure, compliance with the HKEx Listing Rules, negotiation and drafting of the share purchase agreement and share subscription agreement, and due diligence.
- Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd. in respect of Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs' investment in Ping An in 1992, which was the first foreign investment in a Chinese insurance company.
- Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China Ltd. in relation to various investment projects in China and overseas.
- An international commercial and industrial property insurance company on the establishment of its operation in China covering compliance, employment, tax, real estate, and other operational issues.
- A US-based special line property insurer in relation to its operating structure and regulatory issues on a regional basis covering mainland China, Hong Kong and Japan.
- One of the world's leading global commercial property and casualty insurance and reinsurance organizations on its employment matters in China, the insurance law issues relating to non-admitted policies in China, and the localization of its D&O polices.
- A shipping company, assisting with drafting and negotiating a shipbuilding contract for a series of tankers using a special deal structure where the ownership of a vessel under construction is transferred to a buyer before its completion.
- A large state-owned shipping company in China on a RMB500+ million dispute regarding various long term charter parties.
- A Singapore-based trading company on enforcing a London arbitration award in China, and on its joint venture disputes raised from joint venture parties, involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- The University of Leeds, Bachelor degree of Laws
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Bachelor degree in Social Science
Awards and recognitions
- Ranked lawyer, Insurance (Non-Contentious), Chambers Greater China Region 2018-22
- Recommended lawyer, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018-22
- Notable practitioner, Insurance and Corporate and M&A, China, IFLR1000 2022
- Duke of Edinburgh International Award: assistance with establishment and advice on NGO law in China
- British Medical Association: advice on expansion in Asia
- Ellen Macarthur Foundation: advice on NGO law in China
- China Development Charity Foundation, a rural education charity: legal and strategy advice
- Carmel School Foundation: advice on funding and strategy
- Alliance for Water Stewardship: advice on Asia strategy
- Voluntary Service Overseas: advice on expansion in Asia
Memberships And Affiliations