Advice across the investment spectrum
Investing in today’s global marketplace requires international reach, on-the-ground knowledge – and industry know-how. We have decades of experience advising many of the world’s leading institutional investors on thousands of domestic and international investments. We’ll help you manage risks, overcome challenges and seize opportunity.
In 2022 alone, we represented clients in more than 2,000 transactions. Our clients include public and private pension funds, endowments, insurance companies, funds of funds, sovereign wealth funds, development finance institutions and other institutional investors.
We provide a full range of customized legal services and strategic advice, from underwriting large investments in funds and co-investment transactions to reviewing documents for smaller investments or follow-on investments. And we help solve governance, regulatory, compliance and operational challenges.
“DLA Piper has a deep international bench with expertise across multiple jurisdictions - they are commercial, creative and solutions-oriented.”
Our long-term experience in the market translates to invaluable insights into the latest structures and investment trends as well as the current state of key terms.
With offices around the world, we have in-depth knowledge of the local markets and the political, tax, regulatory and economic environments in which you operate. And with close collaboration across our regulatory, compliance, real estate, finance, and transactional groups, you get seamless, comprehensive support.
We're the market-leading practice for investor representation and the only firm ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Global, USA and UK for investor representation on both sides of the Atlantic. We have more lawyers rated by Chambers for our investor representation work than any other law firm in the world.
Awards and recognition
- Due diligence reviews of onshore and offshore alternative investment offering memoranda, partnership agreements and other governing documents, subscription documents, investment management agreements and other related documents
- Drafting and negotiation of investment documents, including side letters and subscription documents
- Drafting and negotiation of non-disclosure and purchase and sale agreements for secondary co-investment transactions and direct investments
- Investment structuring, fee model development and drafting of governing documents for captive funds, separately managed accounts and direct investments (including drafting of investment guidelines and customized management and performance fee arrangements)
- Most favored nations elections
- Pre-closing transaction reviews and post-closing deal summaries
- Amendment reviews
- Post-closing oversight matters for investors and advisory committees, such as general partner removal and valuation disputes
- Advice on key economic terms, risk allocation, governance and conflicts of interest, investor-specific confidentiality issues, liability issues, securities law, tax law, general partner removals and fund term extensions