Head of International Trade, Asia
Nathan (Nate) Bush advises clients in internal investigations, government enforcement actions, and compliance involving antitrust and competition, international trade, and corruption and fraud. He was based in Beijing from 2004 through 2012, and has covered Asia from Singapore since 2013.
Clients describe Nate as "an exceptional regulatory lawyer, with top-level strength in FCPA and antitrust" (Chambers Global 2017), “a very skilled attorney who can frame complex issues in a way that is easily understandable, (Chambers Global 2022), and “understand[ing] the nuances of the different cultures, blending his law and public policy expertise” (Chambers Asia Pacific 2022).
He has served as co-chair of Legal and IP Committee of AMCHAM Singapore (2017-present) and as Legal Committee Chairman (2008) and General Counsel (2009-2011) of AMCHAM China.
Anti-bribery and Anticorruption
- Conducted internal investigations of potential liability under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and local anticorruption rules involving:
- hiring of relatives of politically connected persons by a financial institution in China.
- clinical trials in China by a pharmaceutical company.
- use of intermediaries by a financial institution in Indonesia.
- marketing and customs clearance practices of a US issuer’s operations in Singapore, China, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
Fraud and Corporate Misconduct
- Advised a financial institution in connection with a Monetary Authority of Singapore investigation into misconduct by foreign exchange and interest rate traders.
Antitrust and Competition
- Represented Time Warner in Chinese merger review of its USD85 billion purchase by AT&T.
- Represented major Asian semiconductor company in multi-jurisdictional opposition to a merger of top two manufacturers of semiconductor fabrication equipment, leading to abandonment of the transaction due to objections from competition authorities.
- Advised hard-drive manufacturer in obtaining conditional clearance of acquisition of competitor in China.
- Advised US entertainment company on antitrust and other regulatory issues regarding strategic joint venture with Chinese entertainment company.
International Trade, Sanctions and Export Controls
- Represented US publishing company challenging Chinese restrictions on market access for foreign publishers and publications in support of successful US claims before WTO panel and WTO Appellate Body.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Judicial Clerkship, Hon. Leonie M. Brinkema, U.S. District Court, E.D. Va. 2000-2001
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, 1997-2000. Juris Doctorate (J.D.), Cum Laude, 2000
- Harvard International Law Journal, Submissions Committee, 1998-1999
Harvard Asia Quarterly, Editor in Chief, 1998-200
Harvard Asia Law Society (HALS), 1999-2000. Executive Committee Member, 1998-2000
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1991-1995. B.A. in Government & Foreign Affairs, East Asian Studies (Minor), 1995
- Named by Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 as a leading individual and by Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 in Band 2 in the area of Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption - Singapore.
- Recognized by Chambers Global 2019 for “expertise based abroad” in the area of Competition/Antitrust (International Firms) – China.
- “China Competition Law Update,” China Law & Practice (bimonthly column, 2014-2018)
- Competition Laws Outside the US, ABA Treatise, China Chapter
- “ABAC & Antitrust: Southeast Asia”, ACI’s “APAC & Latin America Regulatory And Enforcement Update”, Washington, D.C., December, 2019
- “Bribery, Corruption & Money Laundering, Oh My!: Strategies for Mitigating Risk through Diligence, Negotiation & Integration,” ABA, "Asia-Pacific Forum: Navigating the Life Cycle of a Cross-Border Deal", Hong Kong, October 2019
- “A Life Sciences Roadmap to Legal and Compliance in China: The Most Misunderstood Anti-Bribery, Trade, Blocking Statue, Data Security, Privacy, and Antitrust Requirements” ACI’s “Advanced Forum on FCPA & Anti-Corruption for the Life Sciences Industry”, New York June 2019
- “Malaysia Government Anti-Corruption Updates: Understanding What is on the forefront for Anti-Corruption Compliance for Organizations Conducting Business In Malaysia”, ACI “7th Asia-Pacific Summit on Anti-Corruption Compliance and Risk Management” Conference, Singapore October 2018
- “Gifts, entertainment and sponsorship”, ACI “6th Asia-Pacific Summit on Anti-Corruption Compliance and Risk Management” Conference, Singapore, October 2017
- “The Anatomy of a Corruption Investigation in China”, ACI’s “11th Advanced Forum on FCPA & Anti-Corruption in the Life Sciences Industry, New York, June 2017
- District of Columbia, Virginia
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, ABA Antitrust Section, Long Range Planning Committee, 2019
- Co-Chair, IP and Legal Committee, American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore, 2016-present
- General Counsel (Volunteer), American Chamber of Commerce in China, 2009-2011
- Chair, Legal Committee, American Chamber of Commerce in China, 2008