Mei Sum ChanSenior Associate
Mei Sum's expertise is in corporate finance and corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and venture capital investments.
Mei Sum has experience advising issuers and underwriters in the Asia Pacific region. She acts on a wide range of debt and equity, capital market transactions, including capital raisings, equity- linked issues, high-yield issues, Rule 144A/Reg S transactions, GTMN, and EMTN programmes, private placement, rights issues, initial public offerings, structured products and liability management exercises.
She also regularly advises on local and cross border M&A transactions, , joint ventures, venture capital investments and corporate restructurings. She has represented buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions as well as investors and investees.
Her clients include public and private companies, financial institutions, venture capital firms and technology start-ups. She has been involved in transactions across a broad spectrum of industries including technology (including fintech), energy and natural resources, infrastructure, real estate, consumer and life sciences.
Mei Sum is recommended by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Capital Markets.
Mei Sum is qualified to practise Singapore law. Prior to joining DLA Piper, she worked at several top-tier law firms in Singapore.
- Acted for HCL Technologies Ltd and its subsidiary, HCL America Inc., in its inaugural USD 500 mn 1.375% senior bond issue in the Reg S and Rule 144A market. This deal represented the highest rated credit from India and was recognized as “Deal of the Year 2021” by the India Business Law Journal.
- Acted for DBS Bank, Mandiri Securities, Merril Lynch, MUFG Securities and Standard Chartered Bank (as joint lead arrangers and dealers) in PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (Persero)’s establishment of its USD 2 bn EMTN programme and initial drawdown of USD 300 mn 2.05% notes. This deal achieved the lowest spread over the respective US Treasuries ever obtained by an Indonesian financial institution.
- Acted for Webjet Limited in its AUD250 million convertible notes issue listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted for Hangzhou Qiantang New Area Construction and Investment Co. Ltd. (a Chinese SOE) in its inaugural USD300 mn bond issue listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advising Asianet Satellite Communications Limited (a Kerala based broadband and cable TV service provider) in its IPO on the NSE and BSE of India.
- Advised a venture capital group which invests in early stage technology start-ups on its acquisition of shares in an investment company that focuses on the Fintech sector.
- Advised an upstream oil & gas company on its proposed acquisition of shares in a company with oil fields in Thailand including the set-up of a joint venture to undertake the acquisition.
- Advised a property developer listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange on its proposed disposal of hospitality business and property for S$1 bn*.
- Advised an energy resources company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange on its acquisition of shares in an Indonesian power generation company for USD 37 mn*
- Advised a Singapore lifestyle and F&B group on its proposed joint venture in respect of a renowned overseas restaurant chain* .
Capital Markets- Debt and Equity
Mergers & Acquisitions
*Denotes experience from a previous firm.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
- Recommended Lawyer – Capital Markets, Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2022
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Mei Sum worked at several top- tier law firms in Singapore.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, The Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore