Hasan El ShafieyLegal Director
Hasan El Shafiey has a deep understanding of Middle Eastern legal systems and jurisprudence and has a wealth of experience in the field of dispute resolution across the Middle East.
Hasan has significant experience in handling international commercial arbitration and cross-border litigation matters for local and multinational corporations, international contractors, government entities and engineering consultants. He also advises on mediation and other ADR proceedings.
Hasan has conducted arbitrations under ICC, LCIA and other institutional arbitration rules, and has a particular focus on construction and energy related disputes. He also has experience advising clients on complex litigation and prelitigation strategies in relation to general commercial disputes, including real estate, shareholders, employment, trademark and other IP related disputes, and public procurement and tender, anti-trust and anti-bribery regulations.
- Advising a consortium of companies on ICC arbitration in relation to a multimillion dollar dispute arising from a contract to build a mega project in the State of Qatar.
- Acting for a subcontractor on an ad hoc arbitration in relation to a dispute arising from a port expansion project in the State of Qatar.
- Advising a joint venture contractor on a QAR4.4 billion construction dispute and litigation strategy against a state entity in relation to a mega project in the State of Qatar.
- Advising on a multibillion dollar government-to-government dispute concerning a strategic project in the Middle East.*
- Acting for a governmental entity in an ICC arbitration against European entity in a dispute arising out of a joint venture agreement to carry out a mega project in the State of Qatar.*
- Advising a major mining corporation on a dispute strategy against an international contractor in relation to a construction claim arising from the execution of an EPC contract in the Middle East.*
- Advising an international construction company against a state entity in global mediation proceedings as well as parallel court proceedings in relation to a QAR2 billion dispute arising from the construction of a major highway in Qatar.*
- Acting for an international contractor in its claim against a state entity before the Claims and Compensation Committee of the Qatari Ministry of Finance.*
- Acting for a subcontractor against a consortium of multinational and local contractors in an ICC arbitration in relation to a dispute arising from the execution of the railway project in Qatar.*
- Acting for an engineering consultant against the employer in relation to a dispute amounting to QAR850 million before Qatari courts.*
*Denotes experience from prior firm.
- University of London, Masters in Law, LLM – International Business Law, 2019
- Queen Mary University of London, Post Graduate Diploma – International Dispute Resolution, 2018
- Alexandria University - Egypt, Post Graduate Diploma - Sharia Law, 2007
Alexandria University - Egypt, Bachelors in Law, LLB, 2004
- "Multi-tier Dispute Resolution Clause, Benefits and Drawbacks", International Arbitration Review (Arabic), June 2018
- "Gulf Crisis – Could it Bring State-to-State Arbitration to the Region", bennettjone.com & JD Supra, February 2018
Participated in a panel session on “Qatar’s new arbitration law” at the ICC Qatar Arbitration Series Conference in Doha, 2017
Prior to joining DLA Piper in May 2020, Hasan worked at international and local law firms in the Middle East Region.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Egypt Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) Arab Users’ Council