John F. MaselliPartner
John F. Maselli focuses his practice on representing companies at all stages of growth, and private investment funds, in connection with planning and executing domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, de-SPACs, minority and growth equity investments, and other strategic and complementary transactions. John also regularly counsels public and private companies in connection with their capital raising activities, securities law compliance and day-to-day commercial operations. With a practical and collaborative approach, John helps clients close their most important transactions and successfully navigate complex commercial landscapes.
John has experience across a wide range of industries, including software, semiconductor, emerging automotive and other technology, telecommunications, consumer products, healthcare, cloud and enterprise IT, cybersecurity, travel and leisure, fintech, life sciences and real estate.
- Notion Labs in its acquisitions of Automate IO, Cron and the workforce of Flowdash
- KMD Brands Limited (NZSE: KMD) in its acquisitions of Oboz Footwear and Rip Curl
- Zendesk in its acquisitions of Smooch, Future Simple and We Are Cloud
- UpHealth, in the sale of its subsidiary Innovations Group, Inc., including its compounding pharmacy subsidiary, Medquest Pharmacy, to Belmar Pharma Solutions, a portfolio company of Webster Equity Partners, for approximately $56 million in gross proceeds
- NetNumber in its sale to Abry Partners
- Titanium Software Holdings in its spin-off from NetNumber, and subsequent sale to Lumine Group
- Trajan Group Holdings Limited (ASX: TRJ) in its acquisition of Neoteryx
- Intrepid Travel in its acquisition of Wildland Trekking
- Lenthor Engineering in its sale to Fralock Holdings, a portfolio company of Arsenal Capital Partners
- Navitas Semiconductor (NASDAQ: NVTS) in its $1.04 billion de-SPAC with Live Oak Acquisition Corp. II
- Twilio (NYSE: TWLO) in its acquisition of Ionic Security
- GigCapital2 (NYSE: GIX) in its $1.35 billion de-SPAC with UpHealth Holdings and Cloudbreak Health, to form a combined entity named UpHealth, Inc. listed on the NYSE
- GigCapital3 (NYSE: GIK) in its $540 million de-SPAC with Lightning Systems, Inc.
- GigCapital4 (NASDAQ: GIG) in its $1.38 billion de-SPAC with BigBear.ai
- AEye (NASDAQ: LIDR) in its $1.52 billion de-SPAC with CF Finance Acquisition Corp. III
- Zipari in connection with a strategic growth investment from Thoma Bravo
- Rasmussen University, a portfolio company of Renovus Capital, in its sale to American Public Education, Inc. (NASDAQ: APEI) for $329 million of cash and stock
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School
- B.A., University of Southern California
On a pro bono basis, John has represented petitioners in guardianship matters, and non-profit organizations in connection with reviewing petitions for actual innocence and commercial contract matters, as well as various other engagements.
- "Venture Capital Nuts and Bolts: Exit Strategies," Practicing Law Institute (PLI), 2021 and 2022
- "Things That Make Buyers Go Hmmmm: Traps to Avoid During the M&A/Growth Equity Legal Due Diligence Process," StartOut Growth Lab, 2020, 2021 and 2022
In prior positions, John served as of counsel with a leading law firm, where he was based in San Francisco, and as corporate counsel at an American multinational company based in Seattle, where he supported the company's core ecommerce business. Prior to that, John held associate positions in law firms in Silicon Valley and Los Angeles.
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises UpHealth in sale of Cloudbreak Health business for US$180 Million
20 November 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises workspace productivity company Notion Labs in acquisition of calendar...
13 June 2022 .2 minute read