Alexander G. TuneskiPartner
Alexander Tuneski concentrates his practice on representing franchisors domestically and internationally in a broad range of transactional and regulatory matters. In addition, Alexander has significant experience in franchise-related M&A transactions and trademark licensing matters.
Alexander counsels domestic and international franchisors and distributors of all sizes, from start-ups to mature publicly traded companies, in a wide variety of industries. Alexander represents both international franchisors seeking to enter the US market and US franchisors seeking to expand their brand abroad. Alexander assists clients in the development and maintenance of franchise sales programs, including drafting Franchise Disclosure Documents, franchise agreements, development agreements, area representative agreements, and distribution agreements and advising clients on compliance with federal and state franchise and business opportunity statutes. Alexander has extensive experience negotiating the sale and renewal of franchise, master license, development and area representative rights as well as negotiating the terms of transfers and terminations for franchisees leaving systems.
In established franchise systems, Alexander works with franchisors to help develop and enforce system standards, build and nurture relationships with franchisees and franchisee associations, and resolve disputes and other relationship issues that arise. Alexander also advises entities seeking to purchase or sell franchise systems, guiding them throughout the transaction.
In addition, Alexander has extensive experience working with franchisors and licensors to protect and leverage their brands. He assists franchisors and licensors in the negotiation and drafting of manufacturing and supply agreements, co-branding agreements, joint promotion agreements and other forms of licenses.
- B.A., Certificate in Franchise Management, Georgetown University 2015
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law 2003
Order of the Coif
- B.A., Government, Cornell University 2000
- Chambers USA
Band 4, Nationwide Franchising (2020-2022)
Chambers comments, "Alexander Tuneski continues to build a solid profile in the franchise area, handling domestic and international transactions. His client base includes those in the education, hospitality and retail sectors." Clients say, "Alexander is a franchise legal expert."
Up and Coming, Nationwide Franchising (2018-2019)
- The Legal 500 Latin America
Recommended, Chile Labour and Employment (2019)
- In each year since 2017, Alexander was recognized as a "Franchise Legal Player" by 1851 Franchise magazine, an award given to the highest profile attorneys in franchising, ranking #5 overall in 2018
- In each year since 2015, he has been recognized as a Washington, DC "Super Lawyer" in the area of Franchise/Dealership Law by Super Lawyers magazine
- In each year since 2014, Alexander has been named a "Legal Eagle" by Franchise Times, which is a recognition given to the top franchise lawyers in the United States
- Editor, The FTC Franchise Rule, Third Edition, 2018
- Chapter Author, Exemptions and Exclusions Under Federal and State Franchise Registration and Disclosure Laws, 2017
- "New Australian Employment Law Changes the Game for Australian Franchisors," FranCast Series, 27 Oct 2017
- "New Law Requires Franchisors to Revise Agreement Forms Used in Australia," FranCast Series, 24 Nov 2015
- "Hey That's My Name! Trademark Usage on the Internet," Franchise Law Journal, Volume 31, Number 4, Spring 2012
- Panelist, "Joint Employer Issues Summit," IFA 2018 Convention, Phoenix, Arizona, February 2018
- Panelist, "Winds of Change: Tried Techniques for Effectively Managing Risk when Implementing System-Wide Changes," 49th Annual IFA Legal Symposium, Washington, DC, May 2016
- Panelist, "Caught in the Web of Federal and State Business Opportunity Laws: Managing and Avoiding the Entanglement of Regulations," 36th Annual Forum on Franchising, Orlando, Florida, October 2013
- Panelist, "Basics Track – Disclosure," 43rd Annual IFA Legal Symposium, Washington, DC, May 2010
- Featured, "Top Franchise Legal Players: Alexander G. Tuneski, DLA Piper Partner," 1851, November 29, 2021
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Nominating Committee, Member (2018); Technology Committee, Member (2016-2017); Program Committee, Member (2015-2016); Young Lawyer’s Committee, Member (2012-2014)
- International Franchising Association, Member
- Capital Area Franchise Association, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Law Review, Former Editorial Board Member
My latest insights
FTC seeks public comments on proposal to expand the regulation of earning claims,...
10 April 2022 .4 minute read