Jesse A. CrizPartner
Co-Managing Partner, Chicago office
Member, Executive Committee
Jesse Criz heads DLA Piper's Investment Management and Real Estate Capital Markets practice. He has for over 20 years guided his clients though their most critical transactions and advised clients on strategic decisions in all aspects of their businesses, creating true partnerships with his clients.
He has deep experience in taxation, corporate law and vehicle formation, focusing on advising investment management firms in all aspects of their businesses, especially the structuring and formation of private investment vehicles and their subsequent investment activities in the United States and globally.Jesse regularly advises firms on structuring all types of funds, co-investments, and separate accounts, and he has experience in mergers and acquisitions transactions for the investment management sector. While leading many highly complicated domestic and international real estate, corporate, and partnership transactions, Jesse has also advised global investment management firms on cross-border real estate investments and the formation of foreign real estate funds, most recently in Europe and Canada.
He is formally trained as a tax attorney and has an extensive background representing real estate investment trusts (REITs).
Jesse is a member of the US Executive Committee for DLA Piper and also is the co-manager of the firm's Chicago office.
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law 1998
Recipient, Hugh L. Dick Memorial Award for Outstanding Performance in Taxation
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 1995
- B.S., Certified Public Accountant
Based on peer reviews, Jesse is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2020 in the category of real estate law.
- The Legal 500 United States
- 2021: Recommended, Private Equity Funds (including Venture Capital) - The Legal 500 comments, "… Jesse Criz leads the investment management practice."
- 2017, 2019-20: Recommended, REITs
- 2016-17: Recommended, Real Estate
- Co-author, "IRS Partially Revokes Previously Issued Private Letter Ruling on Percentage Rent," LexisNexis Practical Guidance (March 2022)
- Co-author, "IRS Clarifies REIT Definition of 'Real Property' in New Proposed Regulations," PREA Quarterly (Fall 2014)
- Co-author, "Strategies for Attracting Foreign Capital to US Real Estate," PREA Quarterly (Spring Issue 2014)
- Co-author, "Voting Interests and Control Under Code. Sec. 892," Journal of Taxation of Financial Products (April 2014)
- Co-author, "Tax and Structuring Issues for REITs Investing in Infrastructure," TheCorporateCounsel.net (August 2009)
- Co-author, "Taxation and Structuring Issues for REITs Investing in Non-US Assets," Journal of International Taxation (January 2009)
- Speaker, "Fundraising Best Practices for Small-Medium Sized Funds," 19th Annual Winter Forum On Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing, January 2023
IRS says regularly traded stock exception to FIRPTA applies at the partnership/fund level
1 June 2023 .1 minute read