Co-head of the Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation
Felipe defends many of Brazilian and the world’s largest companies in complex commercial and civil litigation, product liability, insurance disputes, class actions, as well as construction and contractual disputes. He represents his clients in judicial disputes at regular courts or with the most important arbitral institutions worldwide.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Represented a leading international hydropower company and the largest generator of renewable energy in Europe in a Class Action with a matter value of BRL 8,2 Billion and has been able to revoke precautionary measures determined to its disadvantage. This case is paradigmatic given the high value involved and its repercussion to the client.
- Represented one of the major global Reinsurers in a class action filed by the Federal Prosecutor's Office regarding a very famous plane accident in Brazil. Plaintiff requests the reimbursement of US$ 300 million on behalf of the deceased’s families and the declaration of nullity of the extrajudicial settlement agreement that was signed between the reinsurers and the beneficiaries.
- Represented a Solar Power Energy global company in a lawsuit filed by the counterparty, a Brazilian cement factory seeking to change the path of the transmission lines our client is currently building in Northern Brazil.
- Represented a global leader in the energy industry in an arbitration proceeding brought by the counterparty seeking reimbursement from our client for some of the construction costs of an oil refinery in South-eastern Brazil, as well as damages for breach of contract in the amount of BRL130 million.
- Represented a global energy player in an arbitration proceeding to demand the counterparty to pay for the replacement of certain electricity cables, as well as other sections of the cables that do not correspond to the technical specifications outlined in the EPC agreement entered into by the parties. The case has considerable impact to the client’s operation: the main issue under discussion is the liability for the incorrect installation of fibre-optic cables that cause frequent interruptions to one of our client’s Wind Farms and are at risk of rupture.
- Post-Graduate Degree, Civil Procedure Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro 2009
- Post-Graduate Degree, Civil Law, Universidade Candido Mendes 2002
- B.A., Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro 2000
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended, Brazil Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2024)
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended, Brazil Dispute Resolution: Litigation (2022 - 2024)
The Legal 500 comments, "Felipe Hermanny, whose experience includes commercial litigation and arbitration, leads the São Paulo team.", 2022
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2022
- Latin Lawyer 250, 2022
- Leaders League
- Notable Practices, 2022
- Civil and Commercial Litigation, 2022 and 2023
- Litigation practice ranked by Chambers Brazil – Regions: Dispute Resolution Rio de Janeiro, 2022
- Mentioned by The Legal 500
- Dispute Resolution - Arbitration: 2023
- Dispute Resolution – Litigation: 2022 and 2023
Excellence and Relationship
Campos Mello Advogados was the first full-service Brazilian law firm to consistently use the NPS (Net Promoter Score) method. In the first year using the method, the firm achieved grade 83.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Brazilian Bar Association, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo
- Member of the Brazilian Academy of Civil Procedure (ABDPC)
- Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAR)
- Brazilian Center for Mediation and Arbitration (CBMA)