Yue Lin LeeSenior Associate
Yue Lin Lee is a Senior Associate in the Intellectual Property & Technology department based out of DLA Piper's Hong Kong office.
She focuses her practice on intellectual property and TMT matters, with an interest and experience in a broad spectrum of areas in these fields, including technology-related matters, data protection, and media work throughout Southeast Asia (particularly in Singapore).
- Advising Temasek Holdings in its joint venture with StarHub to form Ensign InfoSecurity, a pure-play cybersecurity firm that will offer bespoke, end-to-end security solutions to enterprises and governments globally. Ensign is now operating as one of Asia’s largest integrated pure-play cybersecurity firms.
- Advising Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. on the intellectual property arrangements to be entered into for branding and design of Project Jewel, the iconic aviation related mixed-use complex at Singapore Changi Airport.
- Advised NETS in its agreement with UnionPay International, which enabled NETS to make its services available outside Singapore for the first time via a strategic partnership with China's UnionPay International.
- Acted for G & J Creation and Clover Films on the production of Meeting the Giant, the first Singapore-made film slated to have a large-scale release in the PRC, including investor arrangements and contractual arrangements with the cast and crew of the production team.
- Assisted LEGO with preparing and negotiating a talent agreement with a major Hong Kong actor in their role as the Monkey King in LEGO’s cartoon movie and cartoon TV series, launched in conjunction with its new Monkie Kid LEGO series.
- Advised a live streaming platform on alcohol advertisement restrictions and guidelines as well as content licensing requirements in Singapore.
- Assisted Tribal Pty Ltd with a successful first transaction in a significant new market (Singapore). We assisted Tribal in responding to an RFP issued by a prominent Singapore university for the implementation of IT systems, reviewing the initial university terms, negotiations and drafting. This resulted in Tribal being awarded a contract for the implementation of their SaaS platform for the university which is worth SGD30 million.
- Advised LEGO A/S in its acquisition of BrickLink Ltd, the largest online LEGO fan community in the world. The BrickLink platform has more than one million members and comprises an online marketplace of more than 10,000 stores from over 70 countries. This was a complex matter due to the multi-jurisdictional data protection issues faced by LEGO, and LEGO required advice on the existing data protection structure in jurisdictions such as Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and mainland China.
- Advised Genting, the leading Malaysia-based investment holding and management company on its collaboration with Alibaba Cloud Computing Services, in connection with the development of a virtual queue AI system for an upcoming theme park to be built in Malaysia. The AI system is heavily based on Alibaba’s City Brain real-time city traffic data analytics system, which it has developed for use in cities such as Hangzhou and Suzhou.
- Advising a large global technology company on its rollout of an OTT platform in multiple jurisdictions. Advised on issues including competition law, payment issues, content regulation, licensing issues. Coordinated with local counsels for responses in their jurisdictions.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- King's College London, U of London, Bachelor of Laws (Hons), 2011
- Yue Lin is recognised by various industry publications and directories, including having been noted as "very knowledgeable and responsive" by Legal 500 in 2019 and recognised as a recommended lawyer in Legal 500 in 2021. Most recently, Yue Lin has also been named by Global Data Review (GDR) in its 40 Under 40 list for 2021.
- Co-Author, Data Sharing: When Consent is Not Enough (Singapore Personal Data Protection Digest, 2018)
- Co-Author, Data Analytics: Considerations When Repurposing Transactional Personal Data under the Personal Data Protection (Singapore Personal Data Protection Digest, 2017)
- Prior to joining DLA Piper, Yue Lin was a senior associate at one of the leading law firms in Singapore
My latest insights
Singapore: More Stringent Requirements under the MAS Technology Risk Management Guidelines
22 February 2021 .3 minute read
Singapore: Amendments to the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA) now in force
4 February 2021 .3 minute read