Max Kwan is a solicitor working across the Auckland corporate and tax teams. Max has experience advising clients on the legal and tax implications associated with M&A, corporate restructuring, financing, employee share option plans and renewable energy projects, with a particular focus on international tax and corporate structuring. Max also has significant experience in underwriting W&I insurance for New Zealand's largest transactions.
Max advises clients from domestic start-ups to large listed multinational enterprises across a variety of different industries including private equity, entertainment, technology, insurance and renewable energy.
Max has a strong interest in renewable energy, financial markets and the potential opportunities that arise from emerging technologies such as AI and blockchain.
- Advising Wētā FX Limited, and its shareholders Sean Parker and Prem Akkaraju, on the sale of Wētā’s VFX Tech Division to Unity Software Inc.
- Advising multinational enterprises on employee share option plans (ESOPs) offered to New Zealand domiciled employees and contractors.
- Advising warranty and indemnity insurers across the Asia-Pacific region including AIG, Liberty Global Solutions, Fusion and Volante on the provision of warranty and indemnity insurance for large-scale New Zealand and cross-border transactions.
- Advising various renewable energy businesses on regulatory and structuring matters associated with projects in New Zealand.
- Advising various multinational enterprises on their New Zealand tax and transfer pricing obligations.
- Advising various private equity clients on fund formation, regulation and operational matters.
- University of Auckland, LLB, 2022
- University of Auckland, BCom (Economics and Finance), 2022