Philip Chong specialises in the resolution of complex commercial disputes. He has a wealth of experience in resolving important contentious matters for clients. He has focused for over 25 years on international dispute resolution. He has dealt with disputes and managed proceedings in numerous jurisdictions throughout the world including all of the main arbitration rules and under a wide variety of arbitration seats. As well as arbitration, his experience covers litigation, mediations and expert determinations.
His expertise in resolving disputes encompasses several industries including energy, infrastructure and transport and includes complex technical disputes. He regularly manages large-scale disputes in these sectors across multiple jurisdictions.
- Representing a major oil and gas enterprise in a multi billion dollar dispute against a global energy company in relation to a shareholders agreement governing their joint venture relationship in Latin America.
- Acting in a series of multi-billion US dollar SCC arbitrations with a Stockholm seat and related court proceedings concerning long term contracts for the supply of natural gas and separate long term contracts for the transit of natural gas.
- Acting for one of the joint venturers in a series of disputes concerning the operation of a power generation plant in South East Asia.
- Acting for a government in a claims resulting from the termination of EPC contracts in connection with a multi-billion dollar project to upgrade a commuter rail system.
- Acting for a major oil company in connection with a dispute over the termination of a contract to construct infrastructure for the development of an oil field in the Middle East.
- Acting in price review disputes in long term gas supply agreements (LNG and piped gas).
- Acting in a Swedish Law, Stockholm seat arbitration for a joint venture gas trader in a multibillion US dollar dispute involving the supply of gas to a Hungarian energy company.
- Acting for a major Central Asian oil and gas company in connection with a dispute over a project relating to the construction of a jack-up drilling rig including claims for delays and variations and design responsibility.
- Pursuing a claim for an oil company in a dispute relating to the termination of a drilling services contract in respect of oil prospecting offshore of Africa.
- Pursuing a claim for an oil company in an LCIA arbitration relating to the termination of a contract to convert a vessel into a drill-ship.
- Acting in several expert determinations in relation to completion accounts and tariffs to be paid under long term contracts. These matters have included successfully representing a client in overturning an expert determination on the basis that the decision of the expert did not constitute a proper determination.
- Advising a telecommunications company in a dispute concerning the performance of a telecommunications satellite.
- The College of Law, 1990
- Bristol University, LLB (Hons) 1989
- Philip Chong is recognised in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame for International Arbitration (Legal 500, 2022)
- The International Arbitration team is "Exceptionally well led by Philip Chong – the overall package is an extremely effective and cohesive team that excels in big-ticket international arbitral disputes." "Philip Chong – an extremely experienced and strategically savvy lead partner, and with a cool head. He invariably makes the right strategic decisions". (Legal 500, 2022)
- Philip Chong is described as "one of the leading oil and gas lawyers in the market" (Legal 500, 2021)
- Philip Chong has “excellent strategic insight and is effective, practical and good to work with. He combines these strengths with sharp intelligence, sector knowledge and good judgement to make seemingly intractable problems resolvable”. “He is a great strategist who is effective, practical and good to work with.” (Chambers & Partners 2020)
- “Philip Chong is particularly recognised for his expertise in energy and infrastructure related disputes, […].” and is described as “a standout partner, with an excellent reputation” and as “a tactically astute, thoughtful and heavy-hitting leader in London”. (Legal 500, 2020)
- The DLA Team is described as having “the best litigation approach of any firm in the City”. Philip “brings real clout to the biggest cases” (Legal 500, 2020) and as "The Rolls-Royce of city litigation practices – they can staff any case with the best lawyers at the appropriate level, can handle any dispute and have expertise around the world. They readily bring these skills into focus in the oil and gas sector". (Legal 500, 2021)
- "Clients remark that 'Philip's leadership skills are supreme' and that he has 'excellent strategic insight.' Market sources also praise his advocacy skills and highlight that 'he is a great team player'". (Chambers UK, 2018)
- "He is very bright, talented, has a flawless knowledge of the law and demonstrates great attention to detail." (Chambers UK, 2017)
- Philip Chong is noted for his ‘excellent strategic insight’. (Legal 500, 2017)
- Philip Chong is described as a "terrifically bright partner". (Chambers UK, 2016)
- [Philip Chong] is "a pleasure to work with," said one client. "He manages his team, he manages my cases and I think he's brilliant." (Chambers UK, 2015)
- 2006 to date, Partner, DLA Piper
- 1999 to 2006, Partner, London based international law firm
- 1992 to 1999, Solicitor, London based international law firm
- 1990 to 1992, Trainee Solicitor, London based international law firm
My latest insights
Challengers beware: arbitral tribunals enjoy broad discretion over procedure, evidence and...
1 March 2023 .12 minute read
The Law Commission’s review of the Arbitration Act 1996 - polishing “a gold standard”?
26 September 2022 .17 minute read