Giulio Coraggio is the Partner who heads the Intellectual Property & Technology department in Italy and is the Global Co-Chair of the Gaming & Gambling group of the firm.
Giulio is dual-qualified in Italy and in England and Wales and has over 20 years of experience assisting Italian and multinational companies on information technology, Internet and eCommerce law matters, data protection and cybersecurity issues, and gaming and gambling contentious and non-contentious legal aspects.
Giulio is a problem solver, and clients appreciate his ability to find solutions enabling them to perform what they are willing to do but identifying an underlying legal basis justifying their conduct.
Giulio has gained considerable experience in assisting primary international businesses on complex data protection compliance projects and dawn raids and investigations run by the Italian privacy authority, the Garante, as well as European privacy authorities and the disputes before them and competent courts. In addition, he has assisted leading international groups in the management of some of the most significant cyberattacks in Italy and Europe, including some of the most severe ransomware attacks and the consequential cybersecurity compliance programs.
He is an expert in drafting and negotiating international commercial and technology supply agreements and contractual and regulatory aspects concerning innovative projects on artificial intelligence, machine learning, NFT, the metaverse, and cryptocurrency contracts.
He also advises some of the most relevant operators and publishers in the market on regulatory and contentious gaming and gambling matters and esports, eCommerce and epayment projects.
- Assistance on some of the most significant data breaches occurred in Italy and some of the most severe ransomware attacks occurred in Europe, as well as with the investigations and disputes occurring globally.
- Assistance on data protection and contractual projects involving the usage of artificial intelligence as well as the exploitation of the biometric data in the banking and finance, insurance and gaming sectors.
- Assistance on some of the most innovative NFT projects occurring in Italy, with also regulatory and contractual aspects concerning cryptocurrency and the metaverse.
- Assistance to the most prominent international gambling operators in the application process for an Italian license and on contentious and non-contentious aspects of their operations.
- Assistance on regulatory and commercial aspects of global esports projects and disputes before the competent gaming authorities.
- University of Naples Federico II, Law degree
- Queen Mary College of London, LL.M. in computer and communications law
- Giulio is listed among the Leading Individuals in the area of Technology, Media & Telecommunications as well as Data Protection and Privacy by "The Legal 500" and won the awards for Privacy Lawyer of the Year in 2021 and Digital Lawyer of the Year in 2020 at the Legal Community Awards, and Technology Lawyer of the Year at the Top Legal Awards 2020. Likewise, his team is top-ranked by “The Legal 500” in the Technology Media & Telecommunications as well as Data Protection and Privacy.
- He is listed among the leading global influencers in the Internet of Things sector by Onalytica and is the founder of IoTItaly, an association aimed at fostering the growth of IoT in Italy and of the Italian Privacy Think Tank, one of the largest communities of privacy experts in Italy.
- Besides, he is the founder of the Italian Privacy Think Tank, one of the largest communities in Italy of privacy experts. And he is an adjunct professor in the master in data protection law at the University of Milan and the University of Roma Tre.
My latest insights
Secure, safe, and trustworthy: Common ground between the US AI Executive Order and the EU...
2 November 2023 .8 minute read