Jeff DeGrootOf Counsel
Jeff DeGroot's practice focuses on complex litigation and government investigations involving privacy and data-security issues.
Named a "rising star" by Super Lawyers in the field of class-action litigation, Jeff has represented clients in state and federal courts nationally, as well as before the FCC, in matters involving a range of privacy issues, including lawsuits related to the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), state telemarketing laws, the Washington Privacy Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), the Stored Communications Act (SCA), and the Drivers Privacy Protection Act (DPPA).
Jeff also regularly:
- Represents clients in all facets of cybersecurity incident response, including crisis management, regulator/individual notification, and post-incident liability.
- Counsels clients on compliance issues related to BIPA, the TCPA, other telemarketing laws and regulations, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and other privacy statutes.
Representative Privacy Litigation Experience
- Represented publicly traded restaurant chain in putative national class action alleging privacy violations. Obtained first-of-its-kind waiver from FCC eliminating liability for half of putative class.
- Represented Fortune 200 client in relation to putative class action alleging violations of CFAA, SCA, and state laws for data collection/retention practices.
- Represented publicly traded financial services company in putative class action alleging violations of Washington Privacy Act. Following motion to dismiss/strike class allegations, plaintiffs agreed to settle for nominal sum without attempting to respond to motion.
- Representing national fitness franchisor in multiple putative TCPA class actions. Forced plaintiff to abandon attempt to certify case as class action.
- Represented financial services company in putative class action alleging violations of state privacy laws.
- Represented media company in putative class action alleging privacy violations. Blocked class certification.
Representative Data-Security Litigation Experience
- Representing major insurer in putative national class action related to cybersecurity incident.
- Advised major pharmaceutical company on potential litigation related to damages suffered as a result of business email compromise.
- Representing healthcare technology company in indemnification dispute related to costs associated with cybersecurity incident.
- Advised cyber insurer on coverage dispute over damages associated with major cybersecurity incident.
Representative Government Investigations
- Represented healthcare company in investigation by the Office for Civil Rights related to cybersecurity incident. Investigation closed without action.
- Represented major franchisor in inquiry by state attorney general related to data-security concerns. Inquiry closed without action.
- Represented company in investigation by state attorney general related to alleged telemarketing violations. Investigation closed with acknowledgement there was no violation.
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law 2013
Order of the Coif
Comments Editor, Washington Law Review
Member, Moot Court Honor Board
Order of Barristers
- B.A., United States Policy Studies, Whitman College 2008
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable James L. Robart, United States District Court, Western District of Washington (2012)
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable Paul de Muniz, Chief Justice, Oregon Supreme Court (2011)
Civic and Charitable
- Member, COLAGE Honorary Board (August 2013 – present)
- Coach, University of Washington School of Law National Moot Court Team (August 2013 – present)
- Featured in such publications as The New York Times and CNN.com for work on LGBT policy issues
My latest insights
Burns v. Mammoth Media: What does it take to meet the injury in fact requirement in...
11 September 2023 .5 minute read
"No concrete harm, no standing": Supreme Court issues major Article III standing opinion...
28 June 2021 .8 minute read