Charles DentSenior Policy Advisor
Congressman Charlie Dent currently serves as a Senior Policy Advisor to DLA Piper where he provides strategic advice and counsel to clients on the federal, state and local levels on issues ranging from appropriations, healthcare, defense and veterans, homeland security, infrastructure and energy to international investment, trade and commerce. In addition to his role with DLA Piper, Congressman Dent is a Political Analyst for CNN, a Visiting Fellow for the University of Pennsylvania (UPENN), Perry World House and a Distinguished Advisor for Pew Charitable Trusts.
Prior to those positions, Congressman Dent served 7 terms in the U.S. House of Representatives representing the 15th Congressional District of Pennsylvania. During his time in Congress, Congressman Dent distinguished himself as a strong, independent leader who is well respected on both sides of the aisle. Congressman Dent was a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee where he chaired the Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies. Additionally, he served as the Chairman of the House Committee on Ethics from 2015 – 2017. In addition to his role as a senior Appropriator, Congressman Dent was the co-chair of the Tuesday Group, a caucus of more than 50 center-right Republicans, where he played an important role in many of the most challenging policy and political issues confronted by Congress. Congressman Dent was a member of the Speaker of the House's weekly cross section lunch and was a member of the Majority Leader's Chairman's Table.
Before his time in the U.S. House of Representatives, Congressman Dent served for 6 years in the Pennsylvania State Senate and 8 years in the Pennsylvania General Assembly.
Congressman Dent holds a Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Service and International Politics from the Pennsylvania State University and a Master's of Public Administration from Lehigh University. In 2015, Moravian College conferred the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws upon Congressman Dent.
Charles Dent is not a lawyer.
- M.P.A., Public Administration, Lehigh University 1993
- B.A., Foreign Service and International Politics, Pennsylvania State University 1982
- Pennsylvania BIO Federal Legislator of the Year, 2014
- National Association of Manufacturers Award for Manufacturing Legislative Excellence, 110th Congress—114th Congress
- United States Chamber of Commerce Spirit of Enterprise Award, 2006—2016
- The Science Coalition, Champion of Science Award, 2014
- No Labels, Problem Solver Seal of Approval, 2014
- Alliance of National Heritage Areas, Heritage Champion Award, 2017
- International Foodservice Distributors Association, Thomas Jefferson Award, 2016
- Humane Society of the United States, Legislative Leader Award, 2015
- First Focus Campaign for Children, Defender of Children Award, 2015
- National Housing Resource Center, Champion of Housing Counseling Award, 2015
- American Association for Cancer Research, Cancer Research Leadership Award, 2014
- Shade Foundation of America, Rays of Hope Award, 2010, 2013 and 2014
- American Farm Bureau Federation, Friend of the Farm Bureau, 2014
- American Cancer Society, National Distinguished Advocacy Award, 2013
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Congressional Service Award, 2013
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Public Service Award, 2013
- Fight Colorectal Cancer, Congressional Champion Award, 2012
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Champion of the Merit Shop, 2012
- Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Association, Pathfinder Award, 2011
- Boy Scouts of America, Distinguished Citizen Award, 2005, 2007 and 2010
- LAWcast from the Nordics: The US-China trade war – views from China, the US and the Nordics, September 13, 2018
- BIO's 2019 International Convention, Philadelphia, June 3-6, 2019
- "Republicans on tax reform in the new term," MSNBC, December 12, 2016
- "The Objective Here Is to Actually Govern," The Atlantic, June 10, 2016
- "Who will be impacted most by $1.1T budget bill?," Fox News, December 20, 2015
- "Republican Congressman: 'We Have to Get Our Act Together,'" NBC News, October 11, 2015
- "Deep Dive: The Voting Rights Act," NBC News, February 22, 2015
- "Charlie Dent: Nice Guy Tapped for Tough Job," Roll Call, November 19, 2014
- "A Clean Campaign for Water," MSNBC, September 23, 2014
- "A G.O.P. Moderate in the Middle…of a Jam," The New York Times, October 8, 2013
- "Charlie Dent, the New GOP Voice of Moderation," Roll Call, October 2, 2013
- "Rep. Dent among top lawmakers in staff retention," The Morning Call, February, 7, 2012