Jon’s practice focuses on English law corporate finance advisory work across key disciplines incorporating public M&A, private M&A and equity capital markets. He acts for a mix of both plc corporates, financial institutions and banks.
He has advised across numerous sectors in a 20 year career, including extensively in the financial services and betting and gaming sectors. The experience section focuses on just some of the transactions which Jon has led on, including some of the highest profile and complex transactions in the market.
Jon was the co-chair of his prior firm’s betting and gaming practice and has acted for three of the five largest operators in the betting and gaming sector on their most strategically important matters.
Whilst Jon’s practice focuses on all forms of M&A, he is viewed as one of the leading city lawyers on complex public bids, acting for both bidders and targets. Recent examples include the competitive bids by Philip Morris for Vectura and RPS Group on the bids by WSP and Tetra Tech.
Jon was named in the Hot 100 by the Lawyer magazine and accredited as one of the top lawyers under 40 by Financial News. His Chambers profile described him as exceptionally client facing, a “street fighter when you need a street fighter” and “clients say he is ‘highly diligent’ and ‘highly pragmatic’.”
• Advised MKS Instruments Inc on its USD5.1 billion cash and stock deal for Atotech.
• Advised Philip Morris International on its GBP1.1 billion competitive bid for Vectura Group plc.
• Advised RPS Group plc on the GBP650 million competitive bids for it by WSP and Tetra Tech.
• Advised John Menzies plc on the GBP571 million bid for it by Agility Public Warehousing.
• Advised Candy Capital on its possible bid for THG plc.
• Advised Slate Asset Management on its USD255m bid for Yew Grove REIT.
• Advised Medica Group plc on the GBP269m bid for it by IK partners.
• Advised Stars Group on its USD4.7 billion acquisition of Skybet from CVC Capital and Sky plc.*
• Advised William Hill on its proposed multi billion acquisition of Amaya.*
• Advised William Hill on its GBP485 million consortium bid with GVC for Sportingbet PLC.*
• Advised NTL (now Virgin Media) on its GBP817 million bid for Virgin Mobile.*
• Advised IHSMarkit on its multi-billion dollar listing on NASDAQ.*
• Advised William Hill on its GBP385m rights issue.*
• Advised IHS Markit on numerous acquisitions, including of DeriveXperts, Automotive Mastermind, A2 Access, CoreOne Technologies, DealHub, Thinkfolio; Data Explorers; PMI, Cadis; Swapswire; Boat; MarketXS; IIC and CDS Indexco.*
• Advised MGM Resorts International on its joint venture with Hakkasan Group to create MGM Hakkasan Hospitality.*
• Advised William Hill on its acquisition of BetDigital and its acquisition of OpenBet and commercial partnership with NYX.*
• Advised William Hill on its joint venture with Playtech to create William Hill Online and the subsequent acquisition of Playtech stake by William Hill.*
* denotes work from a previous firm
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises MKS Instruments on USD4.4 bn acquisition of Atotech
28 September 2022 .2 minute read