Co-Vice Chair of the African-American/Black Resource Group
Ryan Estes balances his practice between federal and state employment law issues, including litigation and advice and counsel work. A seasoned litigator, Ryan has taken and defended over 300 depositions, drafted and argued dispositive motions, and defended multiple appellate cases.
Ryan has broad experience defending employers and management in wage and hour class action claims; Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and state equivalent violation claims; California Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) claims (including wage and hour, unsafe working conditions, and suitable seating); wrongful termination and harassment, discrimination and retaliation employment claims; unfair business practice claims; and other employment-related litigation. Ryan supplements his broad employment litigation experience, by litigating claims related to the Uniform Trade Secrets Act, common law trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract.Ryan represents employers and management in state and federal courts and before administrative bodies throughout the United States. These include the California State Labor Commissioner, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Ryan regularly counsels employers on OFCCP and EEOC compliance, employee discipline, employee hiring, wage and hour issues, protection of intellectual property, DEI initiatives, employee privacy matters, state and federal leave laws, internal investigations, and the creation and implementation of new and revised personnel policies. His work also includes drafting executive compensation agreements and separation agreements, especially in conjunction with startups as well as mergers and acquisitions.
Ryan's clients range from Fortune 500 publicly traded companies to local employers, and spans multiple industries including Consumer Goods, Food, and Retail; Hospitality and Leisure; and Media, Sport, and Entertainment.
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- J.D./MBA, University of Southern California 2013
- Veterans Task Force/Justice Seymour Simon Award, 2021-2022
- Los Angeles County Bar Association/Counsel for Justice Outstanding Service Award, 2020
- Super Lawyers, Southern California Rising Star, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022
- USC Law Shattuck Award: High Potential for Outstanding Service to the Legal Profession, 2013
- USC Order of Areté: Significant Depth and Scope of Responsibility in a Leadership Role, 2013
Ryan is extensively involved in helping Los Angeles County's veteran population through DLA Piper's pro bono projects, including the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Counsel for Justice Veterans Legal Service Project. Under Ryan's leadership, DLA Piper has joined forces with the LACBA Counsel for Justice Veterans Legal Service Project to host multiple traffic court and expungement clinics. Ryan's proudest achievements in his pro bono work include assisting veterans with applying for discharge upgrades and clearing their military records of Bad Paper.
In 2020, Ryan was selected to join the Legal Services Corporation Veterans Task Force as a Legal Issues Committee Member. For more information on the Veterans Task Force, please visit: https://www.lsc.gov/veterans-task-force.
Pro Bono Mentions:
- "DLA Piper removes barriers to veteran advancement through employability program," DLA Piper News, February 15, 2022
- Panelist, National Training - Diversity & Inclusion Welcome, June 15, 2022
- Panelist, USC Gould’s Virtual Meet the Firm Night, USC Gould School of Law, June 8, 2022
- Panelist, Big Law 101: Thriving in a Demanding Environment, NBLSA Convention, March 18, 2022
- Panelist, 2022 Black History Month Webinar, February 24, 2022
- Panelist, Alumni Panel, USC Gould School of Law, February 18, 2022
- Panelist, Harvard West Coast Club 1L Event, February 2022
- Moderator, John M. Langston Bar Association Panel, February 2017
- Mentioned, "Legal Services Corporation Veterans' Task Force wins 2022 Justice Seymour Simon Award," DLA Piper News, July 19, 2022
- Mentioned, "DLA Piper delivers safety and security best practices at G6 Hospitality conference," DLA Piper News, March 22, 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Los Angeles County Bar Association/Counsel for Justice, Veteran Legal Services Project, Volunteer
- National Bar Association, Diversity and Outreach Pipeline Task Force Committee Member
- Legal Services Corporation Veterans Task Force, Legal Issues Committee Member
- John M. Langston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law Class Reunion Fundraising Committee, Member
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law Black Law Student Association, Mentor
My latest insights
Coronavirus: key employment legal issues for US employers (United States)
10 February 2020 .10 minute read