Rubén G. Fernández AgramonteAssociate
Rubén G. Fernández primarily advises clients in finance and real estate transactions, including project financing and development, equity and debt financing, commercial lending, M&A, structured financing and secured transactions.
Rubén represents global investment banks, national and international financial institutions, investors and borrowers in domestic and cross-border financing transactions, including construction, bridge and permanent financings, syndicated and single lender credit facilities, asset-based lending and other collateralized financing transactions.
Rubén represents owners, developers, investors, lenders and tenants in acquisitions, land assemblage, leasing, development, management, dispositions, joint ventures, financings, restructurings and other matters related to commercial real estate. His experience includes transactions involving hospitality projects, resort and commercial developments, office buildings, retail, medical and ambulatory facilities, telecommunications sites, distressed assets and government property.
Rubén has experience advising clients in project finance matters, infrastructure projects and public-private partnerships. He has also advised clients on energy related matters.
Rubén also advises clients in workouts and restructuring of commercial loans, on the design and establishment of special purpose entities and financial structures for the acquisition of distressed assets and debt from financial institutions and other institutional investors. He also assists clients in the organization and structuring of joint ventures, operating companies, management companies and other legal entities for the ownership and operation of business ventures in a variety of industries, and in other corporate matters including corporate governance, corporate financing and other capital issues, and licensing and regulatory matters.
- Counsel to private equity fund in $30 million financing for the re-opening and improvements of a pharmaceutical facility in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to private equity fund in $40 million financing to be used for the acquisition of healthcare facilities in Colombia.
- Counsel to borrower in $32 million construction loan for the development of a luxury residential condominium in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to staffing and outsourcing company in financing and refinancing credit facility for local international operations.
- Counsel to lending fund in financing and refinancing of billboard company credit facility.
- Counsel to private equity fund in connection with a letter of credit and reimbursement agreement to fund the reserve account under the main loan agreement providing for incremental loan financing for the acquisition of healthcare facilities in Colombia.
- Counsel to borrower in financing for the purchase and acquisition of an electronic medical records provider.
- Counsel to borrower in connection with financing and refinancing of credit facility for the construction of site and facilities within landfill for development of products from extracted gas.
- Counsel to borrower in connection with credit facilities for uses related to airport operation.
- Counsel to private equity fund in connection with financing extended to a Puerto Rico fund to cover immediate cash need.
- Counsel to borrower in connection with intercompany loan financing arrangement.
- Counsel to international financial entity in connection with master loan agreement providing for incremental loans.
- Counsel to borrower’s subsidiaries in connection with financing facilities extended to multinational translation services company.
- Counsel to international financial institutions in connection with a cross-border financing extended to an automotive group.
- Counsel to borrower, a finance company with operations in Mexico, US and Latin America, in connection with certain term loan facility.
- Represented the owner of a building operated as an ambulatory surgical facility in the refinancing of various credit facilities secured by the real estate.
- Counsel to a Puerto Rico government entity with respect to the refinancing of a subordinated loan in connection with construction of a hotel and timeshare property.
- Represented one of the largest privately-owned tower and wireless infrastructure companies in connection with a master indenture agreement secured, in part, by mortgages upon rights to receive rent proceeds with respect to telecommunication towers in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to a Puerto Rico government entity with respect to a subordinated loan to partially finance construction of a hotel.
- Represented original lender in the assignment and transfer to a successor lender of various loan facilities made to entities operating in Latin America.
- Counsel to borrower in connection with the financing of improvements to university campus facilities.
- Counsel to lender in the financing of the acquisition and development of a high-end retail shopping center project.
- Counsel to lender in the financing of the acquisition and development of hospitality projects in Condado, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to lender in the refinancing of a group of hospitality projects owned by the same borrower group in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to lender in the financing of various office buildings.
- Counsel to lender in the financing of the acquisition and development of a new university campus in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to lender in the acquisition and financing of a private marina in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to lender in the financing of the acquisition by borrower of the controlling interest in the Puerto Rico operation of a multinational chain of ice cream shop restaurants.
- Counsel to a Puerto Rico government entity with respect to loan facility to partially finance construction of low-income housing projects.
- Represented the owners of a clothing retail store, with operations in Puerto Rico and Latin America, in connection with the refinancing and restructuring of their various collateralized credit facilities.
- Represented a technology and telecommunication service provider in connection with the financing for the acquisition of certain licenses to expand their market participation.
- Counsel to tenant in connection with lease of premises within hotel property for the operation of a spa salon.
- Counsel to private fund joint venture partner in acquisition of $110 million portfolio of warehouses.
- Counsel to pharmaceutical company in connection with lease of various parcels adjacent to the main facilities for development.
- Counsel to tenant in connection with lease of premises for office use.
- Counsel to seller in the conveyance and transfer of the Puerto Rico assets acquired by seller in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Counsel to international financial entity in connection with the conveyance and transfer of certain loans secured by mortgages upon real estate located in various US States.
- Counsel to broadcasting company in connection with the conveyance and transfer of undeveloped parcels.
- Represented an investor in the acquisition of a shopping center and undeveloped residential lots from a Chapter 11 debtor.
- Represented the purchaser of distressed loans secured by a retail shopping center and an office building.
- Counsel to owner of an ambulatory surgical facility in connection with the negotiation of a new lease agreement with the operator of the surgical facility.
- Counsel to owner in transaction for the transfer of fee simple title in real properties in exchange for ownership interest in company for the development of an urban entertainment complex and hotel.
- Counsel to purchaser in connection with the acquisition of ownership interest in an entity that owned certain properties to be improved and operated under a timeshare regime.
- Counsel to purchaser in connection with the acquisition of real properties for development and operation of retail and fast food restaurants.
- Counsel to purchaser in connection with the acquisition of rights to lease proceeds from carriers under telecommunication site antennas.
- Counsel to landlord in connection with the negotiation of a lease agreement for the operation of a restaurant.
- Counsel to pharma company in the acquisition of various real estate parcels adjoining the main parcel wherein the pharma company operated in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to tenant in connection with the leasing of premises for the operation of a credit union.
- Represented FinDev (Canadian DFI) and Triodos on their first project finance in Latin America consisting of a USD25M facility of a solar plant in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented FootPrint International, a US corporate in the sustainable packaging business, on its approximately USD300M credit facility with Macquarie and the German ECA EulerHermes as guarantor of payments under the facility.
- Represented Innergex on its US private placement note issuance for the refinance of the acquisition of a portfolio of renewable projects and new developments by Canadian company Innergex.
- Represented the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnership in the procurement and negotiation process to award a thirty-years concession over 5 existing cruise piers and terminals and the rehabilitation and construction of 4 new piers in the San Juan Bay.
- Counsel to the sponsors and investment advisers of multiple Puerto Rico private equity funds.
- Represented an insurance brokerage firm in certain transaction for the acquisition of ownership interest from a minority shareholder and release of non-compete provisions.
- Represented a construction and development company in connection with the structuring of the repayment of minority interest acquisition and issuance of equity interest to new minority members.
- Represented an insurance broker firm in the acquisition of the business and client portfolio from other brokers.
- J.D., Inter American University of Puerto Rico
magna cum laude
B.A., Springfield College, Massachusetts