Alison M. MitchellPartner
Alison Mitchell is an experienced attorney focused on real estate finance, acquisitions, dispositions and leasing. She represents lenders in the origination of commercial mortgage loans, mezzanine loans and preferred equity concerning real estate around the country.
Those loans include numerous hotel financings, portfolio transactions and construction loans. Alison has also represented financial institutions in leveraging their loan positions utilizing various different borrowing structures. Additionally, she has extensive experience with workouts and deed-in-lieu transactions.
Alison also advises real estate owners in acquisitions and dispositions of real estate assets as well as equity partners in real estate joint venture transactions.
Alison is a member of DLA Piper's firmwide Policy Committee and Partner Nominating Committee.
Among Alison's transactions in the last several years, she has represented
- A lender in a US$375 million mortgage loan and $100 million mezzanine loan secured by an industrial portfolio of 28 properties in 11 states
- A lender in a US$250 million loan secured by property known as Presidential Towers, Chicago A lender in a US$180 million loan secured by a mixed-use project known as Washington Center, in Washington, DC
- A lender in a construction loan of up to US$100 million for the development and construction of a mixed-use project in Orlando, Florida
- A lender in a US$75 million permanent financing facility secured by the Ponte Vedra Inn & Country Club, a 300-acre luxury hotel and country club resort featuring multiple golf courses, restaurants and a spa, located along the Atlantic Ocean in Ponte Vedra, Florida
- A lender in a US$335 million loan secured by a hotel portfolio in California, Illinois, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania
- A borrower/original lender in a leveraged loan transaction secured by collateral assignment of mortgage loan documents (whereby the underlying mortgage security is 6 real estate assets)
- A lender in a deed in lieu of foreclosure of a hotel portfolio comprising 8 hotels in 4 states
- A lender in a US$250 million loan secured by a retail mall referred to as 900 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago
- A lender in a US$44 million loan secured by the Four Seasons Hotel, Chicago
- A lender in a US$43.825 million loan secured by the Graduate Hotel, Seattle
- A lender in a US$44.3 million construction loan secured by The Talbott Hotel, Chicago
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law 1990
- B.A., University of Michigan 1987
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, Illinois Real Estate (2021-2022)
- Chambers comments, "Alison Mitchell is well regarded for her real estate practice, which includes a range of financing and transactional matters." Clients say, "Alison is great, she represents life insurance lenders and does a very good job with that."
- Band 4, Illinois Real Estate (2020)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Real Estate (2015)
- The Legal 500 comments, "Chicago-based Alison Mitchell is 'bright, quick and extremely efficient.'"
- Named a BTI Client Service All-Star (2022)
- Named an Illinois Super Lawyer, as the result of a research project conducted jointly by Law & Policies and Chicago magazines
Alison has been a presenter before several real estate seminars sponsored by the Young Lawyers Section of the Chicago Bar Association.
"Contributing Capital: Preferred Equity is Not So Preferred," The Real Estate Finance Journal (Winter 2010)
- Panelist, "Trends that In-House Counsel Should Know About Commercial Real Estate", Association of Corporate Counsel Presentation, October, 2016
- Co-Speaker, "Loan Documents and the Closing Process (Lender's Counsel),'' Commercial Real Estate Financing 2015, Practising Law Institute, May 4, 2015
Civic and Charitable
- Pro Bono General Counsel, Greater Chicago Food Depository (1994 – 1996)
- Pantry University Subcommittee, Greater Chicago Food Depository (2003 – 2005)
- Co-Founder, Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation's Junior Board
- Board of Directors, Lynn Sage Foundation (present)
- Board of Directors, Chicago Chapter of Commercial Real Estate Executive Women (CREW) (2003 – 2007), Chapter Member (present)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Alison is a member of DLA Piper's Partner Nominating Committee (2020)
My latest insights
BTI Consulting Group recognizes 18 DLA Piper lawyers for providing superior client service
10 February 2022 .4 minute read
Nine DLA Piper lawyers recognized by BTI Consulting Group for superior client service
10 December 2020 .3 minute read