Larry W. NishnickPartner
Larry Nishnick focuses his practice on capital market transactions, SEC reporting and compliance, mergers and acquisitions and venture capital transactions, and corporate governance matters. He represents public and private companies across a range of industries, including technology, life sciences and healthcare, sports, media, entertainment, consumer products and retail. Larry also advises venture capital and private equity firms, corporate and strategic investors and angel investors in connection with their investments.
Larry advises clients from the initial formation and early-stage fundraisings through later-stage venture capital and private equity financings to public company capital market transactions, such as IPOs and follow-on offerings, PIPEs and convertible debt financings. Larry has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships, collaborations and other strategic transactions. Larry is also highly experienced in securities law compliance, ESG and corporate governance matters.
Larry is Chair of the Southern California Corporate and Securities practice group for the Firm.
Larry’s experience is extensive with deals ranging from multi-billion dollar acquisitions to angel investments. His recent experience includes the following representation:
- Outside corporate and securities counsel to multiple public companies
- The Coca-Cola Company in its multi-billion dollar acquisition of BODYARMOR and various other acquisitions, divestitures and investments, including in the beverage, milk, sports and technology industries
- QUALCOMM in various strategic acquisitons and as primary outside counsel for governane and securities matters
- ViaSat in its divistiture of assets and simultaneous investment of a private company acquiring a digital signal processing (DSP) business
- NuVasive in various strategic acquisitions and convertible debt financings
- Maxwell Technologies in an exchange offer sale to Tesla
- ResMed as outside corporate securities counsel
- Cowen and Canaccord Genuity as joint-lead bookrunners for the Greenlane Holding initial public offering (IPO) and various follow-on offerings and financing transactions
- Jack-in-the-Box as securities and corporate governance counsel
- Histogen in its reverse IPO and multiple financing transactions, including registered direct, PIPE and public offerings
- BioFire Diagnostics sale to bioMérieux, including various ITAR, CFIUS and Department of Defense related matters
- Investors in a sale of a minority interest in a Major League Baseball franchise
- QuickFire Networks, a video encoding company, in its sale to Facebook
- Daasity as outside general counsel and its venture capital led preferred stock financings
- A vast number of emerging growth companies in the various industries
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law 1998
- B.A., Economics, Washington & Jefferson College 1995
- The Legal 500 United States
2019 - Recommended, Healthcare: Life Sciences
2017-18 - Next Generation Partner, Healthcare: Life Sciences
- Recognized in San Diego 50: Making a Difference, as "50 of San Diego’s most influential leaders"
- Recognized in San Diego 500: "Special Edition: The Most Influential People in San Diego," San Diego Business Journal, November 29, 2021
- Recognized in San Diego 500: "Special Edition: The Most Influential People in San Diego," San Diego Business Journal, November 30, 2020
- SEC adopts changes to "accredited investor" definition, September 1, 2020
- Author, DLA Piper Client Alert: SEC proposes changes to "accredited investor" definition
- Panelist, "Proxy Statement Interactive Seminar, Corporate Governance Communications Strategies for Shareholder Engagement"
- Panelist, "SEC Hot Topics Institute: Compensation"
- Moderator, "Annual SEC Briefing: Corporate Governance Update"
- Instructor, "DLA Piper: At What Cost"
- Instructor, "EvoNexus Startup Week - Capitalizing Your Start-up Company"
Before joining DLA Piper, Larry served as executive vice president, general counsel and secretary to telecommunications company and as a general counsel at a specialty pharmaceuticals company. Based on these in-house executive positions, he gained valuable experience on day-to-day legal and business matters while managing worldwide legal operations and was responsible for worldwide business development, corporate services and operations.
Thanks to both his in-house and outside counsel experience, Larry approaches his practice as a business partner with his clients and is often viewed as an extension of his clients' existing management teams.
My latest insights
SEC increases disclosure requirements for issuer equity repurchases
10 May 2023 .13 minute read
DLA Piper partners Larry Nishnick and Randy Socol named to San Diego Business Journal’s...
16 December 2021 .2 minute read