Evan is a litigator with broad experience handling complex government investigations and related civil and criminal litigation.
Evan focuses his practice on handling inquiries by government authorities. He regularly counsels companies in responding to subpoenas issued by grand juries and regulators and has managed real-time responses to unannounced government inspections. Evan has successfully resolved high-risk regulatory and criminal inquiries brought by federal and state authorities, both in early negotiations and at trial.
In his litigation practice, Evan has successfully resolved white-collar matters for individual and corporate clients and a variety of complicated civil matters. He has experience in an array of industries, including technology, health care, and banking.
Recent representations include:
- A Fortune 100 technology company in a False Claims Act investigation conducted by the DOJ
- An individual in an accounting-related criminal fraud investigation
- A financial institution in an OFAC sanctions investigation
- A health care company in an on-site FDA quality systems inspection
- An individual in a SEC investigation into potential revenue recognition fraud
- The former president of a major defense contractor indicted on conspiracy and other charges
- An individual facing revocation of a license and other sanctions by a health professions board
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law
Order of the Coif
Graduated with highest GPA in class
Articles Editor, Kansas Law Review
- B.S., Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism
Evan maintains an active pro bono practice. He litigates aggressively on behalf of all clients, including a pro bono client for whom he obtained a US$900,000 settlement in a disability discrimination case.
- Author, "What a Peter Luger Steak House Review Can Teach Lawyers About Effective Legal Writing," Bloomberg Law, Dec. 13, 2019
Before joining DLA Piper, Evan practiced for several years with a leading litigation boutique in Washington, DC.
Evan also served as a law clerk to Judge Mary Beck Briscoe of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2011-2012).